car smells like gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicente

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2015
I took out my charcoal canster a long time ago and read that helps the smell and save gas also read read a guy hooked up his return line to the tank to his gas filter to fix this problem. i have a non emission carb and the fuel pump is one for a oldsmobile motor that has only two connections not three like the original fuel pump that comes for a 1986 cutlass and my return line is caped off does anyone know what i should do do i need to get a charcoal canester and do they sale them new? The smell of gas is pretty bad it can be smelled on my clothes.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Charcoal cans for these cars are discontinued, they can be rebuilt though.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Since it sounds like you don't have any of the original equipment, you could always install an older style vapor canister. For example Rock Auto would have a vapor canister for a 1977 Olds Cutlass (Olds 350 Powered). This vapor canister could be connected between the fuel tank vent line & the large metered vacuum line on the top of the carb. This won't be technically legit but it will be much better than running the atmosphere vent that you have now.

Good luck.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Btw, I'm assuming that you at least an older style Quadrajet which would have the metered vacuum port on the top side of the front of the carb.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what about this one for $36...

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...lterByKeyWord=vapor+canisterfromString=search
lc_cnstr.jpg

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
That looks like the same unit that's shown on Rock Auto for the 1977 Olds application..

Vicente

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2015
I like the one pontiacgp posted so one line to the tank and one to the purge so what purge valve goes with that set up then plug it in to the vacuum line on the carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor