Carburator Rebuilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
don_69sbo said:
Dang...prices sure went up...a lot. Sorry about that.

No need to apologize. If things dont work out with the holley www.guaranteedcarburators has them with lifetime warranty for around $250.

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
just did this on my 442...

(not positive what motor your running but most computer controlled carbs are about the same)....

The motors have an electronically controlled quadrajet carb from the factory (hence the connectors on the carburetor itself) If you want to run a regular holley, you will need to remove the engine computer (passenger side kick-panel, and accompanying harness. (you will also have to rewire the relay if you have ac and wish to retain it...not a big deal).

Having a CCC (computer controlled carb), means I am about 90% sure you will have the electronically controlled HEI. While the distributor is essentially a standard HEI, it is going to have a 4 wire connector towards the rear which will plug into the engine harness mentioned above which needs to be removed. The distributor will still run the engine with the primary power source plugged in (comes from the body harness not computer), however you will have no advance or retard function! Whatever you set the base timing at is what you will see ALL the time. A quick fix for this would be to swap in a standard non CCC hei distributor with mechanical/ vacuum advance.

...last but not least....don't forget your manifold adapter ;)

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
The HOLLEY we are discussing is a 4165 style HOLLEY spreadbore and bolts directly to the Quaddrajet intake manifold :idea: No need for an adapter :mrgreen:

88Classic

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2011
Lansing, IL
I just had my ccc qjet rebuilt recently by Custom Rebuilt Carbs. www.customrebuiltcarbs.com

They did a great job, all pull offs replaced, new electronic parts, etc. Completely disassembled cleaned and wet flow tested. Cheap too, only ran me $265 plus shipping.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
So last night I was talking to my girl about needing a carb and how I couldnt use Ritters holley and was bummed out, I told her I was thinking of getting a carb from guaranteed carbs and showed her the model I needed. She ended up buying it for me since it was my Bday the day before yesterday and she didnt get paid till Friday and she felt bad about not giving me a present :). Carb was only 218+17 for lifetime warranty. Ill let you guys know if its a good working carb when i get it. Good thing too because today my carb took a sh*t. Seems like the secondaries wont open at full throttle and died on me. Had to drive it slowly to get home. :(

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Re: Carburetor Rebuilders

RITTER said:
The HEI will have a power wire going into it from the main wiring harness and it will also have a 3-wire plug that comes from the base of the distributor and plugs into the cap.
If you want to take a picture, that works too 8)

As far as the electrical plugs going into the carburetor, somebody else is going to have to chime in on here. I am not real knowledgeable with the Rochester Quadrajet to tell you if leaving them unplugged will affect anything :idea:
The 83 Buick 4.1 has a CC carb and electronic spark control Dist. Unplugging the carb will make it run full rich because the mixture control solenoid won't work also needs the Tps signal ,

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Thanks guys for all the places to get em rebuilt . I have several rare Carbs off some muscle cars that need redone
k
As for the $600 place. I had that getting a decent carb for the plow truck . Had a Eldenbrock one that was junk from day one

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Most of the so called carb rebuilders mentioned in this thread aren't rebuilders, they are carb remanufacturers and just a waste of money and ruin your good cores. You should never exchange your factory original torwards another carb, always rebuild your original carb. Remanufactured carbs have cheap generic rebuilds that are no where near the factory specs for your car. They have cheap generic spec parts, not factory spec parts. Often they are cobbled together from mismatching Qjet castings. This problem is further compounded when you have a modded engine, since the carb will need to be modded to match the new specs of your motor and a generic one size fits all remanufactured carb specs won't perform well. The wet bench testing is bunk, they just test it to see if the carb matchs their arbitrary generic specs, not the specs your engine needs. Most of them don't even ask for the specs for your heads, cam, exhaust, trans etc to even be able to properly test it on the bench they probably got from some junkyard. :puke:

If you want a real rebuild then check out Cliffs Performance or Sean Murphy Induction. They both high grade, E10 proof, stock factory spec Qjet parts for many different Qjet models and can custom tune your Qjet to match your engine specs. For example if you put in a hotter cam, then they will do mods such as increasing the size of the idle tubes to match your new cam's specs. 8)

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

tc1959 said:
RITTER said:
The HEI will have a power wire going into it from the main wiring harness and it will also have a 3-wire plug that comes from the base of the distributor and plugs into the cap.

As far as the electrical plugs going into the carburetor, somebody else is going to have to chime in on here. I am not real knowledgeable with the Rochester Quadrajet to tell you if leaving them unplugged will affect anything :idea:
The 83 Buick 4.1 has a CC carb and electronic spark control Dist. Unplugging the carb will make it run full rich because the mixture control solenoid won't work also needs the Tps signal ,
But...if you were to switch to a NON-CCC, the distributor would work just fine, right :?: Other than the advance issue :idea: That's all I was saying :mrgreen:

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

RITTER said:
tc1959 said:
RITTER said:

But...if you were to switch to a NON-CCC, the distributor would work just fine, right :?: Other than the advance issue :idea: That's all I was saying :mrgreen:

In a word no. you would have to switch out the distributor to a standard HEI setup. With out the TPS and MC feedback the ECM would go to EST by-pass mode and in some cases no tcc for the trans. The check engine light will be on all the time. CCC is a "closed loop system " its either all or nuttin.. sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor