carburetor and ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
What can i do to my carburetor to make it run better with the gas of today?
Should i rejet the carb richer? or leaner?
I am running an Edelbrock #1407 750cfm

Are you having any problems? I'm not sure where your from but ethanol's been put into the gas for awhile in some places. I run the same carb as you do and no issues due to the ethanol. Now mine has already been jetted up so its not really a good comparison. If I had the money I would just get an E85 carb and be done with it. I think my motor would really love it. And now that i've rambled and haven't helped you at all hopefully someone else will. :lol:

When you say that you jetted your carb up, does that mean you went richer or leaner? In other words, i have not re-jetted my carb at all, just rebuilt it but i want to know which way will be better for the ethanol, richer or leaner?

i'd go a smidge richer.

the theory is that you wind up using a tad more to fire the engine than gas alone.

Right, richer. But for just unleaded, that they have been putting just a little ethanol in it for years, you really shouldn't have to do anything. But if you do anything you would go richer.

If you wanna run e85..you have to do more than just jet the carb richer.. TO be honest with you.. for starters..your best bet is to BUY an Ethanol Carb.. Edelbrock makes one along with Quick Fuel.. Your mileage will suffer tho.. If your getting 15-16mpgs now.. expect to get around 10-11...

To recoup some of the lost mileage.. you need to bump the compression up..

But word on the street is E85 makes good fuel for forced induction 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor