Carburetor Fuel Percolation

Kelvin

n00b
Dec 9, 2018
Hello,
I've installed a 455 engine in an 84 Cutlass and have a problem with fuel percolation. Causing poor idling and hard start up. I've insulated fuel lines, wrapped exhaust headers, and installed an insulating spacer under the carb. Limited hood clearance restricted the spacer to 1/4 inch. These steps helped. But driving in Central Florida heat makes the problem worse. I've read that a bypass fuel regulator would help. Does anyone have experience with this? Can the fuel return line from the mechanical fuel pump be teed for the regulator bypass return line? I believe this would help with hot idle, but would this help with hot startup?

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
installed an insulating spacer under the carb. Limited hood clearance restricted the spacer to 1/4 inch
What is your spacer made of?

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
nitrile rubber
I have tried them all from plastic to stacked aluminum plates, wood spacers work well but are not strong or machinable, so I have been using Jomar phenolic spacers for years and they are the best IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

Kelvin

n00b
Dec 9, 2018
I have tried them all from plastic to stacked aluminum plates, wood spacers work well but are not strong or machinable, so I have been using Jomar phenolic spacers for years and they are the best IMO.
Thank you. I'm looking into any and all suggestions.

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Thank you. I'm looking into any and all suggestions.
Your in florida pull the intake and block the heat riser passages to both or 1 side between head and intake with thin sheetmetal .018...ect also you got a 455 theres half a chance you have a crack into bottom of the plenum into the heat riser passage that's what they did(455/394 ) I can tell you I replaced more then a couple used to get new intake for 45, new I bet you can't get one now fir that now".if you think it's cracked put tin sheetmetal on both sides yes on top of the intake gasket to cover both holes this will help a lot even with out new intake but looks like you going to need an intake gasket and say some ultra grey fir water jacket spots and two peices of flat sheet metal...do not use no1 permatex by any means no 2 is fine

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This^^^
block the heat riser passages
No need for exhaust heat crossover in Florida. Some people fill it with molten aluminum, but a sheet metal blocker is EZPZ.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor