Catalytic converters vs small resonators?

Catalytic converters or resonators for AEM meter or future EFI?

• Catalytic Converters

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Resonators

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, droning Loud Exhaust😱

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So diddly squat all, except at extreme power levels, which is what I have seen for the tests on modern cats. I think they will go on and I will price out an AEM wideband controller as well.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
A computer controls the air fuel mixture in special carburetors via a solenoid operating the main rod jets, maintaining a 14.7 to 1 ratio except during power enrichment mode (WOT). These carburetors also feature a TPS. Also the smog pump pumps oxygen into the cat converter after warmup. Its very different from the truck version.
Just trying to understand- making some assumptions here- the CCC had to have feedback from somewhere- no O2 sensor or MAF meter, so I assume it used the Throttle Position Sensor and Engine Coolant Temp, maybe Air Charge Temp, Manifold Air Pressure(?) as references for a predetermined fuel enrichment/spark timing map? Hence the necessity of keeping everything factory-ish on the top end?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Just trying to understand- making some assumptions here- the CCC had to have feedback from somewhere- no O2 sensor or MAF meter, so I assume it used the Throttle Position Sensor and Engine Coolant Temp, maybe Air Charge Temp, Manifold Air Pressure(?) as references for a predetermined fuel enrichment/spark timing map? Hence the necessity of keeping everything factory-ish on the top end?

CCC had O2 sensor, vacuum sensor, temp sensor, knock sensor, TPS, VSS, baro sensor, and used the dist pickup coil to read RPM speed. The original O2 sensors are 1 wire non heated types. It is common to upgrade CCC systems to 3 wire heated O2 sensors.

Outputs of the CCC are air fuel mixture control on the primary side of the carb, ignition advance with knock retard, EGR control, transmission lockup, smog pump diverter valves, and EVAP purge in later years.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
If you're going with cats trying to get emissions compliant in the event that new legislation might get you jammed up in a smog test, it's gonna be a tall order to pass unless everything else is tickety boo as my Grandpa used to say.

A pair of cats installed compared to what your signature says you have now is gonna choke the crap outta your engine.

That Supra or Mikey's Hellcat and their forced induction has huge power so the performance loss with cats is not a factor. Your horsepower level makes a difference in this discussion.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The current motor is mild, maybe 9 to 1 with a 204/214 cam. The one at the machine shop should be 500hp/500tq or close to it. I know modern cats aren't like the 70's cats which were restrictive as hell. That Supra basically lost nothing down low. I saw a magazine 4th gen Camaro test, factory cats cost like 2hp. I will do some more searching for dyno testing. Running shorty headers is already a compromise as is 2.5" exhaust. If I was worried about every ounce of power, American Racing headers and 3" or 3.5" exhaust would be on the car.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Glad I put this up, different views, some like Mike and myself see the loss as minimal. Others think these aftermarket cats will even choke my current mild motor. As far as modern cars, there are differences as well. My understanding on Challenger's, the R/T, SRT and Hellcats converters flow much better than the 3.6 converters, like on our GT. Supposedly, they are, along with a couple of kinked spots in the head pipes, the most restrictive part of the exhaust, the rest is straight through. Not sure if it is cost or pipe size that makes a difference. The front half is 2.5" and actually goes into 2.25" after the X pipe. I haven't researched the V8 head pipe size which may make the difference in flow over the V6 setup and have nothing to do with the cats themselves.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Glad I put this up, different views, some like Mike and myself see the loss as minimal. Others think these aftermarket cats will even choke my current mild motor. As far as modern cars, there are differences as well. My understanding on Challenger's, the R/T, SRT and Hellcats converters flow much better than the 3.6 converters, like on our GT. Supposedly, they are, along with a couple of kinked spots in the head pipes, the most restrictive part of the exhaust, the rest is straight through. Not sure if it is cost or pipe size that makes a difference. The front half is 2.5" and actually goes into 2.25" after the X pipe. I haven't researched the V8 head pipe size which may make the difference in flow over the V6 setup and have nothing to do with the cats themselves.
Yeah me too. I'm not typically a tree hugger environmental justice warrior, but wow, CC talk seems to be a touchy subject. If it helps the exhaust to be a little cleaner and I'm not bothered by the minimal ding to my 150HP 305, why do you care? If you hate them, whack 'em off and throw them in the trash, doesn't trouble me a bit. I do think it would be good to have your A/F and ignition in good shape. As Clone TIE Pilot said, too rich or too lean can toast a CC if I'm understanding right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor