Catalytic converters vs small resonators?

Catalytic converters or resonators for AEM meter or future EFI?

• Catalytic Converters

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Resonators

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, droning Loud Exhaust😱

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
After reading through how Trudeau and Biden are pushing a major Climate Change agenda together, it made me realize, maybe catalytic converters may not be a bad option. They do almost work like resonators, correct, even afternmarket ones? I was considering tiny 9" long stainless resonators instead of cats, price isn't much different. One big bonus to the Cats they have capped O2 sensor ports. I am planning either a AEM air/fuel meter at minimum or maybe and hopefully sequential multi port EFI on the new 350 stroker. My current 350, I have the APT part throttle set very lean and the idle mix will also get set on the leaner side. Full throttle on the richer side. I plan on clamping them on, expanding the pipes slightly as needed for a tight as fit as possible. Honestly less stinky exhaust would not hurt my feelings and like the catalytic converter exhaust smell much better. Here is the link.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N9JJPLR/?tag=rippca-20

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
After reading through how Trudeau and Biden are pushing a major Climate Change agenda together, it made me realize, maybe catalytic converters may not be a bad option. They do almost work like resonators, correct, even afternmarket ones? I was considering tiny 9" long stainless resonators instead of cats, price isn't much different. One big bonus to the Cats they have capped O2 sensor ports. I am planning either a AEM air/fuel meter at minimum or maybe and hopefully sequential multi port EFI on the new 350 stroker. My current 350, I have the APT part throttle set very lean and the idle mix will also get set on the leaner side. Full throttle on the richer side. I plan on clamping them on, expanding the pipes slightly as needed for a tight as fit as possible. Honestly less stinky exhaust would not hurt my feelings and like the catalytic converter exhaust smell much better. Here is the link.
Lets use circular logic just like those who attack classic cars do....

The world had and still faces an ozone layer problem that is residual to certain compounds made almost a hundred years ago.

The same tailpipe emissions that a catalytic converter neutralizes, nox and voc, are the ozone precursors. If cars emit more nox, more ozone can be created in the upper atmosphere, healing the planet and reducing harmful radiation.

Accordingly, catalytic converters are bad. Running straight pipes are good. :popcorn:

• Love

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Would any of these work? Would still have to add o2 bung somewhere.

I bought these, but not installed yet. I need to do a video of my current setup- with resonance- and after.

Last edited:

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
After reading through how Trudeau and Biden are pushing a major Climate Change agenda together, it made me realize, maybe catalytic converters may not be a bad option.
Fuque both of those clowns. I delete cats and giggle the whole time.

Nice set of Borla for the win.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
First off, I am not looking for a lot of noise reduction, a few decibel will do it. I figure these cats kill 2, possibly 3 birds with one stone, noise reduction, O2 bungs and lower emissions if the Hugger of Trees get their way. I used to cut off old cats, the old GM pancake converters were very restrictive, these new ones don't show any measurable power drop.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A cat converter alone does not make your car emission legal. You must either retain the complete certified emission package your car originally came with or install another complete and certified emission package from the same model year of your car or newer. Many of these existing US emission laws were passed by Bush senior back in the early 90's as part of his Clean Air Act, he was quite proud of them. Both parties want to screw you over and fill you with Aids. They only differ in their methods to screw you over royal.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Lets use circular logic just like those who attack classic cars do....

The world had and still faces an ozone layer problem that is residual to certain compounds made almost a hundred years ago.

The same tailpipe emissions that a catalytic converter neutralizes, nox and voc, are the ozone precursors. If cars emit more nox, more ozone can be created in the upper atmosphere, healing the planet and reducing harmful radiation.

Accordingly, catalytic converters are bad. Running straight pipes are good. :popcorn:
No offense but the ozone layer is not a problem. It changes as a function of natural causes and while we, as a species do continue to sh*t heavily in our litter box called Earth, catalytic converters are not going to have a real effect on the ozone.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Some things to consider:
  • The purpose of catalytic converters is to remove certain materials from the exhaust stream.
  • In order to do this, the maximum amount of exhaust gas must be exposed to the elements in the converter.
  • Converters are not big enough nor efficient enough to remove the harmful materials with an exhaust gas pass rate of anything over an idle.
  • In order to function as designed, converters increase exhaust gas residence time in the converter by creating back pressure.
  • Back pressure greatly affects performance.
  • While cats may act to a certain extent, like resonators, they also come with a lot of performance killing side effects.
  • Real resonators (the kind that actually work) function by creating a "wide" spot in the exhaust piping. This changes the dynamics of the sound wave in the exhaust and produces a muffling effect on the sound of the exhaust as it leaves the tail pipe. I have seen resonators that are hollow (empty) and some with stuffing of different sorts that are supposed to help reduce the sound level. The ones I run are hollow and do have some effect on the volume and tone of my exhaust.
  • Aftermarket "performance" cats are a compromise, with some not being able to get you through emissions. Do your homework if you go that way.

Good luck either way!!!

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
A 3 way catalysts needs to bounce between rich and lean to function properly. Carb'd vehicles only ever came with 2 way catalysts. I'm not sure you can even still get them? Constantly running lean will not make a cat happy either. Run straight pipes or a resonator.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A 3 way catalysts needs to bounce between rich and lean to function properly. Carb'd vehicles only ever came with 2 way catalysts. I'm not sure you can even still get them? Constantly running lean will not make a cat happy either. Run straight pipes or a resonator.
CCC cars like G bodies use 3 way converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor