HELP Ccc carb help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Gotcha. Well plugs is the correct term right?

That's the only thing I can see that could drain the bowl. Correct?

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
I found this link to a corvette forum that touches on this subject. I totally forgot the quads float needle is quite low in the bowl and could possible leak the fuel back into the line. my edelbrock in my truck is top feeding and that's what I'm use to. however my cutlass does have a ccc and I have been in it many times.

if you truly think it's leaking out into the fuel line maybe a new fuel pump would be the best place to start. there pretty cheep anyways.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...uadrajet-leakdown-which-plugs-do-i-epoxy.html

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Well plugs can weep over time and drain the bowl, certainly over the course of the mentioned 3-5 days. If it's hot where you live, modern gasoline can evaporate, but it's unlikely in your situation. Next time you drive it, take it home, undo the fuel line to the carb and plug the carb. If the fuel is still gone after 3-5 days, then it's the plugs, or the body is porous enough to leach fuel internally.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
A fuel filter with a check valve would cure the drain back, if that's where the gas is going.

Reactions: 1 user

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
The old fuel pump was leaking. I replaced it two weeks ago. The problem remains

I will try the test with disconnecting the fuel line

It can't hurt to try

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Fuel drainback on QJs is an age-old and well-known issue

The answer to the question posted is

Fuel pump
Steel line
Bowl inlet fitting
Gasket for inlet fitting
Filter
Spring

There was never any fuel anti-drainback valve as delivered to the dealer when new

Epoxy is the common fix for well plugs, but is not always successful in the long-term. I believe some tap and install pipe plugs in an attempt to alleviate the problem

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The age-old leaking well myth was fixed ages ago by Rochester. Back then rebuild kits came with various "fixes" to address that. Around the early 1970's Rochester began sealing the wells once and for all. The Q-jet never had a drain back valve because the fuel bowl sits below the fuel line inlet and cannot drain back. The spring that goes behind the filter is there to keep the filter seated against the fuel inlet. If the filter gets so dirty it cannot pass fuel, then the filter pushes against the spring and allows dirty fuel to flow. If you have neglected it to that point you deserve to get stranded. Later filters had a small spring loaded black or blue flap covering the inlet end of the filter. Fuel pump pressure overcame the flap. That was there to prevent the gas tank from draining out through the carb in the event of a roll-over. In essence that flap acts as a drain back valve. The real reason the bowl dries up so fast is the alcohol in today's gas. It only takes a couple of days to evaporate the bowl dry. My start-up routine now includes several 5 second starter blips to get the fuel flowing.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor