CD player size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
Hey guys;

I noticed these cars have a very large trim panel around the tape deck area (1985 Monte Carlo non SS). It's that classy plastic wood.
I'm wondering, if I get a cd player, does the aftermarket have a basic trim panel to cover the entire area smoothly, or can I/do I have to, use a double DIN sized cd player?

I haven't pulled trim off yet to check, I figured i'd ask first, and perhaps luck out and see a few pictures of aftermarket deck installs so I know what i'd be looking at?

Jg85350Regal

Greasemonkey
Mar 10, 2010
Windsor Locks, CT
Its actually 1.5 din so you can either get a dash kit/adapter that will allow you to use a standard single din aftermarket head unit or use a 1.5 din unit which limits your choices. Pioneer makes a few of them and I believe alpine makes one too, there may be a few others but the pioneer is usually the most popular one.

sonix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
If using a single DIN (or 1.5 DIN), I trust there exists a single panel that would cover the entire area then?

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
If you use 1 DIN, the install kit will take up the extra space. If you use a 1.5 DIN, the player will fit in the space with no need for adapters. There really is no need to find any different trim pieces.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
sonix said:
If using a single DIN (or 1.5 DIN), I trust there exists a single panel that would cover the entire area then?
you can pick up an install kit like this Scoche at Best Buy or even Wal Mart

GM1500B 82+ GM MULTI MOUNTING KIT DIN/ISO UNIVERSAL

Attachments

• GM1500B.jpg
    GM1500B.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,339

sonix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
Ok, thanks guys. I'm intimately familiar with those kits, from my other mid '80's GM's that i've owned.

I now realize the obvious (that I had forgotten before) - The old tape deck will be removed, kit (as pictured) installed, and cd player installed. New trim kit will be IN FRONT OF existing plastic wood trim. Gotcha!

Thanks muchly

sonix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
ok guys, bought a kit just like that, and shoe horned it in there.
Apparently covered all GM's in my date range, but when I opened the box, 86-88 Monte, but not the '85... Oh well, did it up for an '85, and now i'm stymied.

I've attached a picture of this sitting in the spot, however the brown plastic trim (which houses the cigarette lighter above), obviously won't fit over top of this.

WTF step am I missing here? The old front trim plate (integral with the cigarette lighter) has a much smaller hole for the original tape deck, which I could carve open to fit around here, but would look like crap.

What do normal people do here, so it looks right?!

Thanks

Attachments

• Monte carlo - cd player.jpg
    Monte carlo - cd player.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 1,660

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
Yeah the later model year radio bezel has the opening you're looking for. I just saw one on ebay going for $150 :blam: So I'm headed to bLowes to get some materials to make a custom one

sonix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
aww crap.
So what year of cars can I steal the trim plate from? ie, can I get it from something that isn't a Monte Carlo, since those seem to be rare like hens teeth in boneyards here.

I guess it's either that, or using my die grinder and sharpie and hoping for the best eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor