Center Console Question

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Does anyone know what this is in the center console? Two of the things are lifted. I've never seen it.
Center Console.jpg

Closed things
Center Console 2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Cassette tape storage.
Where else would you keep your Van Halen tape when you have Scorpions or Night ranger in the deck??:banana:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you pop up the two center cassette holders, you can reach your fingers in below the casing (unless you're a gorilla) and pop that center section up and out should you not want it installed. Then you'll have a regular console.

I've yet to find any information on these in the parts books. These things were known as a Fischer Cbox, made by Fischer in Germany (marked on the bottom of the holders). They made a bunch of factory cassette holders for different cars back in the early and late 80s, and also aftermarket. Some fit in the dash glovebox, others the console. The main CASING is the important part. The cassette holder and spring loaded carrier were basically almost all the same across the holders. Not always, but generally. So if you break one, you may can get another somewhere from another car and fix yours, depending on what broke.

Although I've never found anything in writing, I believe this was part of the package if you had one of the optional radios in a Cutlass with cassette player, but I don't recall when they actually started installing them. F-bodies I remember had some as well, but obviously shaped differently. The early B body 2 door Delta was available with a console and they used the same parts, so if they had them.... And they never tell you about the console cassette holder. My 85 442 came with it and I had no idea wtf it was when I first saw it, either. I don't even know when they started having these available, but they showed up plenty of times in 85-88 Cutlass.

Should you decide to remove it, it's not advisable to simply toss it. Those things are worth a bit of coin to fit Cutlass. Sell it if you want to, but just don't trash it.

1705326790811.png

1705326841990.png

Reactions: 6 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I have one and actually use it. If you want to keep the old school looks with the factory stereo, ya gotta pick up some cassette to match the era lol

Reactions: 4 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
The console I have for my ‘80 has the cassette storage locker. The console came out an ‘86 Calais.

Made me laugh that the OP didn’t know what it was, showing my age. Lol

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
If you pop up the two center cassette holders, you can reach your fingers in below the casing (unless you're a gorilla) and pop that center section up and out should you not want it installed. Then you'll have a regular console.

I've yet to find any information on these in the parts books. These things were known as a Fischer Cbox, made by Fischer in Germany (marked on the bottom of the holders). They made a bunch of factory cassette holders for different cars back in the early and late 80s, and also aftermarket. Some fit in the dash glovebox, others the console. The main CASING is the important part. The cassette holder and spring loaded carrier were basically almost all the same across the holders. Not always, but generally. So if you break one, you may can get another somewhere from another car and fix yours, depending on what broke.

Although I've never found anything in writing, I believe this was part of the package if you had one of the optional radios in a Cutlass with cassette player, but I don't recall when they actually started installing them. F-bodies I remember had some as well, but obviously shaped differently. The early B body 2 door Delta was available with a console and they used the same parts, so if they had them.... And they never tell you about the console cassette holder. My 85 442 came with it and I had no idea wtf it was when I first saw it, either. I don't even know when they started having these available, but they showed up plenty of times in 85-88 Cutlass.

Should you decide to remove it, it's not advisable to simply toss it. Those things are worth a bit of coin to fit Cutlass. Sell it if you want to, but just don't trash it.

View attachment 233616
View attachment 233617
Good to know. Mine has one. It's kinda busted in a few places. But maybe could be useful for someone to scavenge for parts to repair another one.

I was going to make a smart assed comment about how we've reached a generation who doesn;t know what a cassette tape is, but we've already reached the point where there are people alive who don't know what a CD is.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Good to know. Mine has one. It's kinda busted in a few places. But maybe could be useful for someone to scavenge for parts to repair another one.

I was going to make a smart assed comment about how we've reached a generation who doesn;t know what a cassette tape is, but we've already reached the point where there are people alive who don't know what a CD is.
Just as bad with them being able to I.D. this
gettyimages_90730574_wide-13a49e22f7e457e7772511c1a8a5ae7fd7bc722e.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Thank you for the info. I kept all my cassettes and refused to buy CD's because I had in error believed they would bring in the mini CD to the states. Just recently I got rid of them. :(
If you look real close in that pic at the seat. . .

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Funny, most of mine ended up looking more like this. NOM NOM NOM!
1705334768457.jpeg

Many an 8 track tape string decorated the sides of roads and ditches back in the 70s as I recall.

This made me laugh...knew a few guys that cluttered their car up with 8 tracks this way.

2372da8e12078c2bc7301ccdb3764550.gif

But you can always buy more!

265600_original.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor