Changing interioir to black

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
couple questions,

1.SEM paint/dye, How many cans do i need? (door panels, all plastic)

2. My seats are in good condition (60-40 split bench) but they are faded (were out of the car while it was a drag racer and may have even been in the sun), and brown. What would be a good thing to dye them with (they are cloth)? or should i just bite the bullet and get them reupholstered with the vinyl top?

3. seat belts, they are brown now, any suggestions?

4. And suggestions for a nice cheap headliner matterial? (got a freind doing the work for a trade of a set of headers)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, the fabric for the headliner is available at Jo-Ann fabrics. If you don't know where one is, ask your mom as she probably does. They also have bulk vinyl and other materials. Just be sure NOT to use the Duro brand glue for the headliner!!!! Use 3M General Purpose Trim Adhesive instead. I buy it at Wal Mart, usually in the automotive section.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
ok sweet, ill check into that. does walmart have decent material i can use for headliner? should i buy the vinyl for the top there or would that be cheaper at an uphholsery shop who is going to install it?

supreme_eighty5

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Upstate, NY
seriously dude, i wouldn't buy anything for my car at walmart, at least the ones around here. i painted/dyed a bunch of plastics in my interior including the dash, steering column and i used 2 cans so far. i just bought 2 more to do the rear plastics and then maybe my inner fenderwells. as far as vinyl goes i ordered some pretty good stuff from yourautotrim.com and did the rear inserts by the rear arm rests and am about to do the upperdoor panels and headliner. i dont f* with spray glue in a can(3m) since ive had bad luck with it, i buy 1 gallon cans of dap landau top adhesive and it usually runs about 35 shipped and i spray it out of an old paint gun....works great. if you dye the seats they wont be soft anymore, they'll be kinda crusty but will smooth out somewhat eventually but not like factory. you could prob. dye the seatbelts with the sem although ive never tried it. good luck.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The fabrics at Wal Mart would not last long in the Florida sun, maybe not even a year. A good upholstery shop will have a much better material for the top, as there is a special type of vinyl for it. However, having it done will not be cheap. That was one of the reasons I decided to eliminate my vinyl top. It was much cheaper. It was also labor intensive to do it right.

As for the headliner glue, I used the 3M stuff from Wal Mart over 3 years ago in my truck and it is still holding up just fine. My work was not as good as it should have been, but it has not fallen down. Because of my quality gaffs though, I am just going to pay a shop to do it. It isn't that much more money...unless it has gone up since last I checked.

supreme_eighty5

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Upstate, NY
i priced out what my vinyl top would cost and its gonna run me ~80 shipped for the materials.

it depends what 3m stuff you get. the one in the black can worked like garbage for me. i dont remember what # it was.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i went to autozone and actually found a 3m spray glue made for headliners. it was $15. worked great. i also used some fabric from wal-mart. its only a headliner though. i just wanted some very light (weight) fabric for less chance of falling. i will prob go to jo-ann for fabric for the dash and the read deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor