Charcoal Canister inline filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
There is a screen in the canister to prevent that. It can only happen if the system has broken down.
I guess my screen is kaput then, if I can make the substrate come out of it by shaking it upside down. Unless it only comes out because I shook it upside down...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It should not come out, I thank ck80 and use his suggestion

The filter pad containing the charcoal is replacable, only costs like $1.xx on rock auto IIRC. Unless the metal clip on the bottom have rotted off is a quick change and fix as well.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I ran into that once and it was so bad that it accumulated in the fuel bowl and keep the needle and seat closed. The car ran out of fuel. Out of building hundreds and hundreds of carbs only ran into once

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It should not come out, I thank ck80 and use his suggestion
They're pretty easy to rebuild and only cost a couple dollars. By the time theyre this age, who knows how close a used one might be to failure.

I used to sell them to people whose were cracked open (accident damage) or missing and wanted to reinstall. Before selling I would rebuild them with the 2 new parts you see on the rock auto ad, or for a couple dollars less send the new parts with the canister and they could do it.

Unlike some guys, I don't like to sell junk. If there's slight imperfections I'll document and notify of them before hand. If there's too many of those, but the parts are usable, I'll offer them for free to someone who needs/will use it (not just sell it and rip someone off...)

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
So, if I tip it upside down, and shake it, nothing should come out? Because stuff comes out. Or, does that only happen because I'm shaking it upside down?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Nothing should be coming out. The charcoal pellets are held in place by foam pads, which can break down from age or being exposed to gas by overfilling the gas tank.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Back in the 1990's MFG's like ATR sold "Charcoal Canister Relocation Kits" so you could move the canister under the inner fender... so you could fit a 14" long K&N air filter (because people back then didn't have a good understanding of where the restrictions were in an air filter). Everybody I knew in SC (the new home of ATR when they left CA) with a Turbo Regal had one.

The kit mounted the canister on its side and I don't remember ever having or hearing anyone complain about loose charcoal.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Nothing should be coming out. The charcoal pellets are held in place by foam pads, which can break down from age or being exposed to gas by overfilling the gas tank.
So mine definitely needs rebuilt then, gotcha. Or if I can find an NOS one. There was one on ebay a few months ago, should've snagged it.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
what about ck80's suggestion he posted in this thread?
Oh, guess I didn't see that post. The one about getting new filters? There's the pad on the bottom, are there internal filters as well? if i turn it upside down, pellets come out of the nipples on top. I assume that only happens because of the internal filters, if any, have disintegrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor