Charcoal Canister

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Getting ready to do TPI swap and was wondering 1-is 1/4" fuel return big enough(since it is avail on my 86 Cutty with 307) and 2-Is 5/16" purge line(for charcoal canister) needed? If canister is not needed to vent the tank, then can the line be used for the return and just cap the 1/4" line? Thanx.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is on a 307? I would guess it's fine as long as fuel pressure/volume stays reasonable. You could use the 5/16ths as fuel return and 1/4 as vapor line in a pinch (both terminate at the top of the tank, one has a baffle, can't remember which). The charcoal cannister serves an important purpose which is to collect fuel vapors and store them until the motor starts and burns them off. A tank vented to atmosphere is illegal and dangerous. If you are serious about performance why not just run large new lines and ditch the rusty old ones.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
The 3/8 is fuel to tpi, 5/16 canister line is baffled at the sending unit, and the 1/4 is the return. If I run new lines, 3/8 for fuel and 5/16 for return, I still have to terminate the return to the 1/4 inlet on the sending unit, since this is the return on the sending unit.

If someone fabbed there own lines, how did they connect the 5/16 return to the sending unit and what did the use for the canister line?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Both the fuel return and vapor just dump into the tank. The baffled one is so no raw fuel gets sucked up into the vapor line. They are soldered onto the tank top fitting that holds the sending unit. My car was lacking a return, so I just ran a 5/16ths line and soldered it to the fitting as the spot for it was there. I just left the vapor line as it was. You could remove the 1/4 line and replace it with 5/16ths but I don't think will be a problem.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Cool. Thanx.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
3/8ths feed, 5/16ths return, 1/4 vapor line.

No you cant turn a vapor line into a return because its more than likely not rated for prolonged raw fuel exposure.

Also dont ditch the charcoal canister. There is 0 reason to get rid of it. Infact you'll get more miles per tank.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
On my car, the 5/16 is the vapor line and the 1/4 is the return, and the 3/8 is the feed. They are all steel lines.

racingcc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2010
minnesota
Not sure where you live, but where I live it's not illegal to pitch the canister. Canisters have built in vents on them. When they fill and the car is not running they vent out. In most cases they cause the car to run poorly abd worsen milage because they are pluged and never have been maintained or replaced. I would ditch the canister and leave the return line. If you absolutly need to have the canister, I would buy a new one. I bet if you took the old one off it probably would be very heavy and weigh a ton. Compare it to the weight of a new one and you'll see what I mean. Good luck!

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
racingcc said:
Not sure where you live, but where I live it's not illegal to pitch the canister. Canisters have built in vents on them. When they fill and the car is not running they vent out. In most cases they cause the car to run poorly abd worsen milage because they are pluged and never have been maintained or replaced. I would ditch the canister and leave the return line. If you absolutly need to have the canister, I would buy a new one. I bet if you took the old one off it probably would be very heavy and weigh a ton. Compare it to the weight of a new one and you'll see what I mean. Good luck!

That's what I've seen on the Internet. Feed on the 3/8 return on 5/16 and cap off the 1/4 on the sending unit. Seemed like they abandoned the canister. Was just tryin to understand this ideology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor