Charging issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
Need some advice I just put in a serpentine one belt setup and a msd box in my 83 cutlass. Now I am having charging issues. Something keeps killing the battery. Everytime I charge it back up and drive it the car dies on me. Any advice I sure can use some.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd be looking at the alternator since you just put the serpentine set up in. If you charge the battery in the car and leave it does it go dead?

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
I changed the alternator and it is still dying. If the car is not running the battery is fine. I left the car and did not bother it for a week and the car started right up. But if I let it sit and run for a while then cut the car off it will not start back up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like you have a wiring problem, is the alternator getting excited and charging?

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
I don't think that it is. How would I know? I can't tell

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
charging voltage on a gm is approximately 2 volts higher than battery voltage. look for 14 to 15 volts with the eng running.

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
Do you have an idiot light in your or voltage gauge......if you have an idiot light you have to use a resistor to make the charging system work.......I couldnt find my old thread here that I did but was able to dig it up another G-body sight ....
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=95774&start=15

............sorry the pdf links are dead.......but this link has diagrams for the idiot light set up........

https://www.google.com/search?q=1+w...+wire+resistor+for+charging+with+idiot+light+

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor