Chassis Strengthening by welding in plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
One concern I have with cladding a stock frame with reinforcing plates is it creates hidden sandwich pockets for rust to form and spread in unseen areas. Which could cause such a frame to rot from the inside out similar to the body.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
One concern I have with cladding a stock frame with reinforcing plates is it creates hidden sandwich pockets for rust to form and spread in unseen areas. Which could cause such a frame to rot from the inside out similar to the body.
Agreed and that's why I cleaned then primered frame. Also I will coat inside of frame and any "pockets" with some type of rust fighter and this car will never see any bad weather. The existing frame had minimal light surface rust for being 35 years old so I don't think I will have to worry about the future. Chassis saver paint going on when I'm done also

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
When I welded in my hellwig fx kit, I tacked a bracket across the center body mount holes and had my rear “bumper” installed. I jumped around, welding no more than 1” at a time and when it was all done, everything was straight and true. I was super nervous though!

^^This is the way to do it. I didnt and when I did a test fit of my body onto my frame after boxing the C channel, the body wouldnt even sit fully down over the frame it was so bowed out in the center . I sliced the top of the frame with a thick cut off wheel and hammered it til it touched then repeated, body just barely sneaks on now.

For the center of the frame you dont need a fancy kit. Allstar sells strips of 1/8th steel for putting door plating in between the horizontal roll cage bars in the driver compartment of a circle track cage that I used . I also bent the inner 1" lip of the c channel up on the bottom of the frame so it has more of a rectangular cross section and wasnt such an odd angle to weld and it worked just fine.

That being said, I also used the Allstar rear hump replacement plate when I notched (really made by DCA Racefab) and it was about a 1/2" off in numerous spots, spend the money on the UMI or similar kit there.

Reactions: 1 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
I had actually ordered the Helwig kit from an online vendor, apparently at the time it was backordered. No kit after almost 2 months and they finally refunded my money. This was the point where I said F it and boxed it myself with about $40 bucks worth of 1/8" plate. I struggled to get the body back on the frame, urethane multi piece mounts suck. Most of my problems were alignment most of my body mount holes were rusted and had to be redone. I measured the holes carefully, but if I had to do it over I would have found another frame to make templates off of. The rear frame also sprung since the bumper was off and I notched the frame for tire clearance, A come along got it back where it needed to be. Shoulda braced it better, live and learn.

• Informative

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I sprayed about 5 cans of this inside my whole frame everywhere I could before painting. It’s tough as winter snot.

I had the frame acid dipped prior to work, and it probably wont see winter or even much rainever again, so I won’t be able to speak to longevity.

1552349239130.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor