Chevy 350 build need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
South Buffalo / West seneca NY
i am working on an engine to temporary replacethe Big Block in my monte the Big block runs fine but it needs some up grads new aluminum heads and a look over that will take a few years and due to it being 10.25:1 compreshion i dont want to damage it running it with iron heads.
so i traded a good but apart olds 455 that needed an over bore and work. For a good fresh bore .030 over 350. i am shootinf doe 9.0~9.5:1 compression. the pistons are .040 in the hole so i am having the block decked .020 and ill use a .015 steel shim heads gasket. i am sooting for 87 octane gas.

the 350 has:
Keith Black/KB Pistons 1436-030 - Silv-O-Lite Cast Pistons
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-1436-030/
new crank from Autozone
new Speed Pro Rings

looking at: and the only thing i need to get it running
Edelbrock performer frends has for $40
cam shaft Melling MTC-1 204/214 @ .050 .420/433 lift with lifters i can get for $90 at work

As for heads idk i am looking for a set on cregslist but they need to be 76cc for 9:1 or 72cc for 9.5:1 and if i am getting stock heads they better bolt on i dont want to put work in to them. but if there aftermarket i don't mind spending the money.
I seen this on E-bay i can get the hard ware for them for about $130.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dart-New-Pair-B ... cd&vxp=mtr

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
ok no help here...... :(

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Help with what? I didn't see a question. Are you asking about opinions on the head choice? Those Darts look fine. Shipping is pretty high though, at least to get them to me. Not sure you'll be able to run 87 but maybe.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
With that camshaft you should have no problem running a set of smog heads from the 70's and you can aquire them pretty cheap. I would atleast put some new valve seals in them :idea:

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If you are ok running stock heads I would check around with the local machine shops and see if they have any that never got paid for and picked up. Sometimes they will sell them for the cost of parts they have into them. Those heads you linked aren't too bad in price but I bet you could find a good set of assembled heads for that price.

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
that is what i was thinking i may try and see if a shop has some heads they where never payd for and has sat for a year or two.

that is if i cant fined a cheep stock set. that doing need $400 put in to them if thats the case ill just get the darts i listed.
i have called 7 ppl on craigslist talked to 4 and no one has gave me a call back in 1 week all i asked is if they can give me the casting numbers??? :blam:

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
Ok I found a set of 10147898 sbc heads but i cant fined any good info on them... has any one see a set that can tell me what cc they are?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I googled that number. Came up with 76cc, 1.72 intake valve. Medium/Heavy duty truck crate motor, like dump trucks, stake trucks, etc.

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
O wow cool i have been on google with my phone for 4 hr only thing i found was 78cc heads for a crate engine or truck.. Thanks for finding that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor