Chevy 350 Oil Pan Gasket Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistermastamind

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2012
Chrome oil pan with "Mr Gasket" one piece oil pan gasket continues to leak. Should I go back to the multi piece gasket or is there some type of sealant that can be used once the one piece gasket is replaced?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
replace the gasket with another gasket from another maker, make sure the mating surface on the pan is flat without any low spots. also check torque on all bolts, make sure none or over or under torqued.

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
Also use a thin layer of permatex ultra grey to help ensure a good seal. Like he said make sure that the surfaces on the oil pan and the block are clean and level. Use just enough of the ultra grey to make a nice, even coat. Just remember that a little goes a long way. When buying gaskets I always stick with Fel Pro. Also when you buy a new gasket use acetone or brake clean spray it on a rag and just wipe down the new gasket as they come with a mold release agent on them so when you clean them the gasket is nice and clean.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The ultra grey works well. I used it on the chrome transmission pan on my Monte, and it worked like a charm. The only advice that I'd give (beyond what others have already said) is to make sure you allow the sealer to cure properly before using the vehicle. I've found that it makes a difference.

Mistermastamind

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2012
Yes, Yes, Yes, this is why I love this site. Thank you so much fellow G-Body owners. Everyone's advice will be used.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Fel-pro makes a great one piece gasket for the sbc, they have three different ones depending on dipstick location. I have used them with great success. However ANY sbc oil pan gasket I've ever used needs silicon on the four locations front and back a.k.a. "the corners". I always use grey silicon on all four spots. Here is the best picture of the gasket type
fel-os34510t_w.jpg

Just make sure you know if yours is think or thin front seal, this one is thick and also has either d/s or p/s oil dipstick position

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
84cutspreme said:
Fel-pro makes a great one piece gasket for the sbc, they have three different ones depending on dipstick location. I have used them with great success. However ANY sbc oil pan gasket I've ever used needs silicon on the four locations front and back a.k.a. "the corners". I always use grey silicon on all four spots. Here is the best picture of the gasket type
fel-os34510t_w.jpg

Just make sure you know if yours is think or thin front seal, this one is thick and also has either d/s or p/s oil dipstick position

x2.. used this as well on mine...no leaks, 3 years now. Great product. Use silicone in the corners.

Nov 4, 2012
I've always used fel-pro oil pan gaskets. They are great, never had an issue with them. As for fel-pro valve cover gaskets, not so great.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Try removing the chrome from the gasket mating surface. The chrome is too smooth to make a good seal. This works for chrome valve covers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor