Chevy Police Intereceptor????

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Does it exhist? I have a friend who wants to sell me this motor out of an 84 Impala. I tried to research it, and this is what I came up with...

1. Chevy never made a "Police Interceptor"... Ford did...
2. Chevy DID make a Police interceptor, and it had a high volume oil pump and water pump, and heavy duty rad and rad hoses
3. Chevy called it the 9C1
4. Chevy called it the CMJ
5. It was actually a 350 Corvette motor
6. It was a 4 bolt main
7. It was a 2 OR 4 bolt main
8. It produced 250 h.p. with a two barrel
9. The heads were 76 cc
10. It had flat top pistons
11. It had 8.5 : 1 compression
12. The heads were junk and prone to cracking

What the hell is with this phantom motor??

Please discuss in depth what you know, or think, or have an idea about below. :mrgreen:

i tried that and i found no record of a pre-1987? chevy 9C1

guess i never specified that... i'm talking about a pre-1986 chevypolice motor

Unless your upwards in the 600hp, 4 bolt mains will have no advantage over 2 bolt mains, unless you think more is better in which okay it's better in your head. Everything else you listed in the beginning post can be added onto any pre-85' SBC. 76CC heads were found on low compression engines (trucks, passenger cars, vans etc.) so you can throw a rock in a junkyard and hit 10 different casting numbers but they all come up 76cc. Flat top pistons, big deal, what engine doesnt?

The only way to know for sure about this engine is with a block casting number and a set of cylinder heads' casting numbers. For all you know it could be a 305 from looking at it on the outside

^^^What he said^^. Run the #s to be sure it even is a 350. I wouldn't treat it as anything special beyond that. Mid '80s 350s aren't really known for their blistering performance or durability. Even the Corvette (Crossfire Injection) had only 205hp in 1984. If you've heard it run and the price is right then do the deal -- just don't expect much :lol: .

It's not much more than a truck 350 of the same era. As for code 9C1, it was used on a variety of Chevy police package vehicles ( Chevy never used the Police Interceptor nomenclature like Ford did) built off of 4 door sedan models. Theoretically, it was available on 75-79 Novas, 78-83 G body Malibus, Caprices, and even Luminas and Wimpalas. The spec varied by model and year, and there were a variety of engines offered in some years-including the 4.3 v6! Now, if it was a high speed pursuit car, that would be code B4C and be based off the Camaro.

mid 80's engines=fail.

just my opinion. they're no better than the ones from the mid to late 70's, underpowered.

now i've got a 74 chevy 400 w/ quad & 0nly 37k origonal. she runs great!!! no longeer even car about the 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor