Choke power source

BCLEM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2023
The unde rhood wiring on my 78 cabby is a hacked up disaster . I've repaired most of it but need to wire the choke heater . Any suggestions or tips where to tap in for power ? Last guy tapped into the alternator field wire.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My 83 had a factory dedicated choke fuse, was a light brown wire that popped out of the firewall harness at the passenger rear of the engine. I'd start there. My harness is also a hacked up mess, but at least now the choke circuit isn't.

Edit: the fuse was inside the car on the C100 block.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

BCLEM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2023
My 83 had a factory dedicated choke fuse, was a light brown wire that popped out of the firewall harness at the passenger rear of the engine. I'd start there. My harness is also a hacked up mess, but at least now the choke circuit isn't.

so it had a dedicated choke wire originating at the fuse block ? i saw a reference to one being wired through an oil pressure switch ?

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
so it had a dedicated choke wire originating at the fuse block ? i saw a reference to one being wired through an oil pressure switch ?

That's the animal, I went with Standard Ignition PS126 for the oil switch myself.

Reactions: 2 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
There’s a couple ways of doing it. Seen the alternator setup. And the 3 prong oil sending unit is another. You can go with the factory wire Supercharged 111 talked about. Or go with a dedicated wire to the fuse box to the ignition activated plug in spot. Wouldn’t hurt to add a fuse to that one.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas

Thats good to know.... the prior owner(s) of my car, tapped the windshield wiper motor harness for switched power to the electric choke on my holley 4bbl carburetor.

• Scared

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Borrowed from a 2019 post...

One of the things I do is splice into an orange line. It is on with key on, engine running. I use this as trigger to 30 amp Fog Lamp Relay. One of the switched legs goes to Oil Pressure switch that closes with engine running. This is in series with the line that energizes the electric choke. When engine is shut down the choke de-energizes.

• Useful

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
You have to be careful of alternator hook up, if your wiring is off and it back feeds to distributor, engine will never shut off.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
My 78 wiring diagrams show wiring for an electric choke on all V6 cars and none on the V8 cars. If it was originally a V6 car there will be a brown wire to the oil pressure switch and a light blue wire from the oil pressure switch to the choke heater.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
That should work fine. You only want choke on with engine running.

Choke should be shut on cold firing. And depending on engine and it's current condition the choke should be cracked open just a little bit as it still needs some air for combustion.

Each car is different. I have set chokes with match book cover which is approximate .035, 1/16 drill bit which is .0625, or 1/8 drill bit which is .125. Every engine is different. On a true build, the carb will have an actual setting from OEM, you can use an angle gauge or feeler guage to get this and then you tune from there.

• Useful

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor