Holley electric choke wiring???'s

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I will be installing a Holley ultra street avenger on my engine, where is a good place to install the ground wire frome the choke,can i install it to one of the carburetor studs scews or to my aluminum intake manifold?Thanks

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I will be installing a Holley ultra street avenger on my engine, where is a good place to install the ground wire frome the choke,can i install it to one of the carburetor studs scews or to my aluminum intake manifold?Thanks
I always thought they grounded to the carb body.

Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If the connector is just the 1/8 or 3/16 ring connector just put it under one of the screws of the air horn or front fuel bowl screws.

If you want to mount it to the carb stud. Go ahead and mount carb as you should. Then pinch the ring connector between 2 clean zinc plated or chrome washers and torque down the nut.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
The ground wire is typically connected to the carburetor itself by holley using one of the mounting screws that holds the electric choke unit.

The power side has to be a switched +12v source, most people use the power side from the windsheild wiper motor or they run a deticated wire to the fuse panel inside the car.

Example(not mine)

Attachments

• choke ground.jpg
    choke ground.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 3 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Why holley went that direction with adding longer wire is beyond me, it was fine just the way they had it as you can see from the picture i posted.

BTW.... which carburator did you get, the 670 or the 770 ?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The ground wire is typically connected to the carburetor itself by holley using one of the mounting screws that holds the electric choke unit.

The power side has to be a switched +12v source, most people use the power side from the windshield wiper motor or they run a dedicated wire to the fuse panel inside the car.

Example(not mine)
Ground on this one will work just fine.

If your's has the larger ring crimped on and will fit on the mounting stud, just ground to the stud.

Once mounted you can test by running a 12+VDC jumper wire to the hot side of the electric choke. Choke should operate.

If not then check ground ... Check positive side of the circuit, check heating element of the electric choke. Etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I run a fused lead from the post of the alternator to 1 post of a 2 terminal oil pressure switch. The other side runs to the power side of the choke coil. The ground on mine goes to a temperature sensor that is bolted to the intake. This prevents the choke from trying to engage with a warm engine. Works great and no need for finding a switched wire since the power will only be present when the engine is running .

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
you went from a street avenger to an ultra street avenger,correct?of the same cfm,still a vac secondary etc.other than 4 corner idle adjustments can i ask what the difference is or what's the projected difference? btw i'm asking out of curiosity i mean no disrespect.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor