Choosing a New Car for My Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
2016-17 Equinox LTZ V-6 310 HP. AWD. My wife's had a 16 since new. Not a single problem at all. Easy entry exit, enough power to enter interstates with ease. And all the modern toys bells and whistles she wanted. I personally hate small engines (they have to work so hard and make so much noise) but this small Cadillac originally V-6 Is a great runner.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My neighbor across the street has a fairly new Cherokee ('16?) 4 cylinder and just loves it. I like the look and inside is very roomy. She is a non-mechanical woman and this poor Jeep never gets a rest. Last Winter in the snow she cheaufered her entire family around and it never got stuck even once. But it needed a battery/alternator when only a year old. My Daughter has a '12 Liberty and she loves it too. It is a totally different ride than the old Jeeps like my '00 Cherokee. The suspension is light years better. A rear wheel ABS sensor failed and took out the ABS, ESC, Traction Control and electronic 4 wheel drive. The scan tool said the $500 ABS module was bad but after changing the $13 sensor- all was well. A stealership would have raped me for a $1000 job. Worse, I deduced that the emergency brake was left too tight from the factory, the friction heated the rotor, and cooked the sensor. The connector uses a Connector Position Assurance which is a fancy name for a fragile plastic clip that holds the connector from coming apart. It broke as soon as I touched it and the stealership parts guy had no clue what I was talking about. Dealing with Mopar/Jeep stealerships would be the deal killer for me unless you have a good one.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Chrysler has ruined the Jeep name in MO. Most of the Jeeps sold anymore are just rebodied Chrysler products.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Chrysler has ruined the Jeep name in MO. Most of the Jeeps sold anymore are just rebodied Chrysler products.
The biggest insult they did to Jeep was put extra door on the Wrangler. WTF??? Two doors & a roof that is removable how those are suppose to have. To me the four door version not right.

Nov 4, 2012
The biggest insult they did to Jeep was put extra door on the Wrangler. WTF??? Two doors & a roof that is removable how those are suppose to have. To me the four door version not right.

The 4 door Wranglers are chick cars. But they must make a killing on them because they are everywhere.

Or Fiats.

Chrysler has never been the most reliable of the Detroit three, and Italian reliability is an oxymoron, so yeah...

But the WK2 Grand Cherokee is loosely based on a MB chassis from the Daimler era and it's been relatively unchanged since 2011, which means most bugs should be worked out by now. I really want to sell myself on the Jeeps, but their history for reliability won't let me feel good about it.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The Grand Cherokee is the 2nd most deadly of those type of vehicles, only behind the Ford Explorer in a front end collision. It was on the news last week.

Nov 4, 2012
The Grand Cherokee is the 2nd most deadly of those type of vehicles, only behind the Ford Explorer in a front end collision. It was on the news last week.

That's a little scary. Also weird, it was an IIHS top safety pick 3 times in 2011,12 and 13. I know a lot of cars fail the small overlap, especially on the passenger side. I briefly looked into Explorers but they just want too much money for them.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
I'm Old fashion I buy American when I can. That's one reason I have G- bodies and all my cars and trucks in my garage are American. Just saying.:cool:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'm Old fashion I buy American when I can. That's one reason I have G- bodies and all my cars and trucks in my garage are American. Just saying.:cool:

I try to buy American as well, but GM, Ford and FCA all make vehicles in Mexico, GM makes cars in Korea, Ford builds the EcoSport in India, Jeep builds the Renegade in Italy, so really how American are they?

Meanwhile, Toyota builds the Camry in Kentucky, Honda builds the Accord in Ohio, Hyundai builds the Sonata in Alabama, Subaru has a plant in Indiana, Nissan builds cars in Mississippi, BMW has a plant in South Carolina.

Foreign or domestic doesn't matter to me. I'm loyal to quality not brand.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor