Choosing a New Car for My Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
I purchased one of the first made in Indiana Subaru Imprezas. It was the least reliable vehicle ive owned besides an early 2000s vw. But i dont necessarily equate that to Subaru quality. But will i ever purchase another subaru? i cant say, i was highly disappointed considering it was the first new vehicle ive ever purchased.

I ignored my gut feeling and bought an early production vehicle of a brand new generation that was an actual new generation. I believe there is such a thing as growing pains with new vehicles. So my recommendation would be to maybe find a model that was at the end of its production cycle for that current generation. Like in a year or two i will probably look into picking up a 2018 GM Full size Truck.

Nov 4, 2012
So after quite a bit more research, and pricing out and looking around, I've got it down to three, and my dad can make the final decision-

1. Jeep Grand Cherokee- would be a V6 Laredo model (which is fine because even the Laredos are well-equipped), and if he goes for a Jeep, it will have to be a CPO so it comes with the 7 year 100k mile powertrain warranty. I really like the Cherokee (especially the trailhawk) but the 9 speed trans is supposedly problematic, while the 8 speed in the Grand Cherokee is supposed to be pretty decent.

2. Honda CR-V- probably would wind up with the previous generation (so a '15 or '16) which is still a great car. If he plays his cards right, he may be able to get into an EX or EX-L. Still not a fan of the CVT, but no way around it. Also was a Top Safety Pick + from IIHS.

3. Mazda CX-5- Again probably would be the previous generation, which would be a 2015 or '16. It's a top safety pick + from IIHS, and its a Car and Driver 10 Best and Car and Driver Editor's Choice. Jalopnik says its the Crossover for people who don't hate driving.

Nov 4, 2012
Thought I'd share the final verdict-

I went to look at a '15 Honda CR-V EX last night with Dad (brought mom along too since she is "the boss"), and it was at a Mazda dealership. He drove the CR-V, looked it over, thought it was okay and was ready to make an offer on it. But before he made an offer on it and with mom's help, I convinced him to just try driving a slightly more expensive CX-5. So we went for a ride in a 2016 CX-5 and he loved it. So this morning dad and I went and turned his lease in and then went back to the Mazda dealership and he bought the CX-5.

It's a 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring, white on black interior. It's got 25,000 miles and its CPO so it's got a factory backed 7 year 100k mile powertrain warranty, plus 12 month 12k mile comprehensive warranty. It's got all kinds of bells and whistles that his Camry didn't have so there will be plenty of gadgets to keep my dad busy for a while. It came with four brand new tires which was nice. It's a Car and Driver 10 Best and has the highest earning from the IIHS, so I feel good about that. Plus it is very easy for him to get in and out of with his hips and shoulders which was a priority, and has lots of head and legroom (my dad is 6'2" and 230 lbs) so he should be quite comfortable in it.

Thanks for all the replies and opinions, they are much appreciated as always. Dad bought this car instead of leasing, so hopefully he'll have it for a while.

Zoom Zoom

IMG_20180713_210157678_LL-2672x2004.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have no real input aside from the fact that newer Jeeps suck and the newer Cherokees are ugly as sin. I mean holy f#%k!

I occasionally drive a company vehicle which is an Escape and I have to admit it's pretty nice. It feels cheap inside but most newer vehicles do. My only complaint is ground clearance. I hit a groundhog and ripped the engine and trans shields off. Not my car so I didn't care.

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
One random thing that came to mind in this discussion is man I hate the CRV shifter. My buddy had one and its under the radio. Then theres like some removable crappy tray console like ive seen in vans as if you could ever use that space for anything if you were doing some extreme packing. Id much rather have a floor shift and normal integrated center console or even a column shift. Like I hate to rant on but its so akward you like reach out and shift this little knob... LOL

Nov 4, 2012
I have no real input aside from the fact that newer Jeeps suck and the newer Cherokees are ugly as sin. I mean holy f#%k!

I occasionally drive a company vehicle which is an Escape and I have to admit it's pretty nice. It feels cheap inside but most newer vehicles do. My only complaint is ground clearance. I hit a groundhog and ripped the engine and trans shields off. Not my car so I didn't care.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who actually like the squinty eyed Cherokee. I think it looks fantastic in trailhawk trim, but I can totally see how some people don't like it, it's very polarizing. I did look into the Escape, and while I like it, it's too much money for not enough car. To get an Escape that is comparably equipped to this Mazda, it would be pushing $30,000. Plus I think the Mazda looks better. In general I'm not a huge fan of the crossovers, but they are here to stay so may as well get used to them.

One random thing that came to mind in this discussion is man I hate the CRV shifter. My buddy had one and its under the radio. Then theres like some removable crappy tray console like ive seen in vans as if you could ever use that space for anything if you were doing some extreme packing. Id much rather have a floor shift and normal integrated center console or even a column shift. Like I hate to rant on but its so akward you like reach out and shift this little knob... LOL

I actually did notice that in the CR-V. The shifter blocks the HVAC controls when the car is in park, and it's located too high up on the dash. Minor complaint, but I much prefer the shifter in this CX-5.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Funny ain't it that when they started to make them (& similar type "SUV/CUV's") they had some good ground clearance & could do somewhat of off road driving but now a good size speed bump could damage the lower parts. I have driven the earlier & later Escapes, the earlier ones was able to clear the ruts & divits of the old house's driveway unlike the newer ones that had to be parked at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor