CUTLASS Chrome plating plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Does anyone know of a company(s) the can re-plate a weathered set of headlight surrounds for my ‘80 Cutlass Supreme? I have a passenger side (RH) NOS bezel but I have had no luck finding a driver side (LH) bezel. The car is getting painted and i’d really like to have a set ready to go with the NOS grills I bought. One place I called said he could not do it but said the process is called “electroplating of plastic”. I’ve called several shops in and around MA but have had no luck. Any ideas? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Be prepared to ship them wherever you go if there's nobody nearby. You get what you pay for with replating anything. Try these guys, as they give you 3 option levels and are likely priced accordingly. You'll have to get them to quote you as it's not a shopping list item, but I've seen their work and their top of the line show chrome is flawless. And yes, they do headlight bezels.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Check out Alsa for spray chrome. Good stuff to use. May not be cheap but cheaper than dealing with a place that can rechrome plastic.

Reactions: 6 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
IIRC the plastic chrome on our jalopies isn't technically "plated" but just has a sheet of leaf or whatever vacuum formed around it, so when it fails you get that peeling etc.

but yeah, as was stated, there's other options. if you have access to an airbrush...

or not

I know I've seen others but these are the only 2 I can find.

Reactions: 6 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
IIRC the plastic chrome on our jalopies isn't technically "plated" but just has a sheet of leaf or whatever vacuum formed around it, so when it fails you get that peeling etc.

but yeah, as was stated, there's other options. if you have access to an airbrush...

or not

I know I've seen others but these are the only 2 I can find.
The term everyone is searching for is 'vacuum metalized' where the plating material is, and to oversimplify, essentially vaporized inside a vacuum chamber, then the part is passed through, and the vapor collects onto the part.

60s-80s most interior and later exterior chrome was done up that way.

Which begs the question.... has anyone tried using the chrome vehicle wrap on their parts?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Probably be costly coming from the UK

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Theres a lot of places that do spray chrome. Even more that hydro dip.
I think a lot of these methods have good results even the DIY stuff my only concern would be how well would it hold up to the elements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Sputter coating is another method that may be suited to small run parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor