Classic Economy Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think at least 15-20 years old qualifies. As for the original Beetle, the interesting swap is the Subaru EJ20t from a WRX. Swap kits exist as these are popular upgrades for rail buggies. You'd just have to figure out cooling.

walkeraviator

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2008
Louisville, KY
I love AE86's and really teh original motor can be made preppy and still get good mileage. I think Corvair 180 Turbo would be an awesome option. 180 ponies in a car like that isnt super fast, but at least it can get out of its own way (which is more than can be said about other cars in its class)

If you like sporty...240Z with either a KA24 or SR20 (depending on whether power or economy is more important) would be an awesome car.

And ultimate Econobox....

Nash metro w/ LE5 Ecotec and transmission from solstice/sky

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Blake442 said:
I would love to roll around in a clean Vega Estate wagon (the ones with woodgrain) with a cobalt ss ecotec(supercharged or turbocharged) and a 5 speed swapped in!

Hey! That's EXACTLY the economy car I want to build (well, without the woodgrain). I've not had much success locating a Vega wagon that wasn't rusted or turned into a drag car, however.

Another good one I think would be a '62 Olds F-85 wagon (the tiny chevy II bodied ones) with the same ss ecotec and a 5 speed...

Actually the 61-63 F-85 (and Tempest and Buick Special) were based on the Corvair architecture, not the Chevy II. Pretty wild, considering that GM used three completely different drivetrain configurations (rear engine, front engine, and front engine with transaxle) on the same platform.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Make mine an Olds Jetfire with the turbocharged 215 V8! Then again, I'd probably swap to a modern turbo 4 instead, and maybe even a rear transaxle like the Tempest. I'd probably source the transaxle from a 5 speed manual Porsche 928 (or 944), and the engine would be a turbo Ecotec or a Nissan SR20DET.

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
In Alabama , as far as insurance , licensing , goes . Antique is 25 , and vintage is 30+ . My 69 chevy truck is tagged with a permanent Vintage Vehicle tag . i pay for limited use insurance . ahhhhh a 20 dollar tag that never expires , very nice........ :D

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
eddieb1969 said:
In Alabama , as far as insurance , licensing , goes . Antique is 25 , and vintage is 30+ . My 69 chevy truck is tagged with a permanent Vintage Vehicle tag . i pay for limited use insurance . ahhhhh a 20 dollar tag that never expires , very nice........ :D

Unfortunately some states have restrictions on how vehicles with classic/antique/vintage tags can be used.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
joe_padavano said:
Blake442 said:
I would love to roll around in a clean Vega Estate wagon (the ones with woodgrain) with a cobalt ss ecotec(supercharged or turbocharged) and a 5 speed swapped in!

Hey! That's EXACTLY the economy car I want to build (well, without the woodgrain). I've not had much success locating a Vega wagon that wasn't rusted or turned into a drag car, however.

Another good one I think would be a '62 Olds F-85 wagon (the tiny chevy II bodied ones) with the same ss ecotec and a 5 speed...

Actually the 61-63 F-85 (and Tempest and Buick Special) were based on the Corvair architecture, not the Chevy II. Pretty wild, considering that GM used three completely different drivetrain configurations (rear engine, front engine, and front engine with transaxle) on the same platform.

I didn't know that...I had always seen the similalities in the front clip inners and just guessed... I learn something new everyday.

And how could you not want the woodgrain?! :lol:

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
Oh they have regulations , fortunately they never have enforced them . We just got mandatory insurance a few years ago , and as of yet no emission testing . im sure that will change someday . Enjoy it while we can though......... What i do hate however , is they requirements for titled vehicles . Ours is 75 up has to have a title , and it doesnt move with time as some states do .i live in the northeast corner . in 20 min i can be in georgia or 30 min for tennessee . We could buy alot of cars , but with the moving title laws , its a pain to get them registered here . i find alot of good buys on cars listed in craigslist , but with several bad experiences getting an alabama registration on them , have all but give up .....oh well

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Can't forget the Chevette :D A buddy of mine had a 2-door 5-speed when we were kids, great little beater car. I swear Chevette's were made of stainless steal - everyone I see on the road, even today, is rust free! (and you know nobody's EVER bothered painting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor