Clear Coat question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgutta2345

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2010
Looking to get my car painted black. I was wondering how many clear coats should I get to make it look glossy?

It just depends really, you'll probly have a gallon of clear anyways so probly 3 or 4 coats

It's really not how thick the clear is, as much as how smooth everything is. The important thing is that it's thick enough to wetsand and buff without burning through.

4 should do well i would think. do some googling to double check though.

TOTAL film build should not be over 12 mils....typically, each coat of clear will be 1.5-2.0 mils depending on who's spraying it. But you also have to figure the basecoat and undercoats (primers and sealers, and prior finishes)

3 coats should be enough if the painter can lay it down slick and relatively dustfree, and will leave enough to nib it and lightly knock the top off. Anytime you're sanding the topcoat, you're compromising the overall strength of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor