EL CAMINO Clunking auto trans under load when warm and low rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That's across the board. No G body came with the TH700R4, only the B, F & Y bodies for passenger cars. Look at the PDF which is for the MVMA (Motor Vehicle Manufacture Association) passenger carspecification form for Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1GZ37 & El Camino 1GW80. This was filed by the American manufactures to show specs & features of vehicles for the specific production year. The MVMA was active 1911 to 1999.
Here's the link to a thread I started that will have all the info that includes what transmissions was used with each engine RPO & Chevy A/G model.

Attachments

• 1987 G engine transmission MVMA spec fprm.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 127

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's pic of the key part of the page as my printer has quit scanning.
20221118_220555.jpg

schwim

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2022
Coastal VA, US
Hey there guys, I know we've touched on the things to check but as I mentally work up the courage to get myself into more of a pickle, I'd like to discuss my first steps in diagnosing this issue. I would imagine the first is pulling the pan and looking at the condition of the fluid and for any clutch material or foreign pieces. Second, I would do the tv cable adjustment again, in case the mechanic didn't do it correctly.

What's the next step after this? Is it checking pressures? If so, what type of gauge to I need to ask Amazon for? If it's not pressures, what is it?

Thanks to everything for the help so far. I'm hoping to find something I can resolve myself and the only way to know is to get to work.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If the TV cable not set correctly trans will burn up in no time. If your running stock engine and stock carb. You should be fine. The carb linkage was designed for what you have. As long as you are still running as it came from factory.

Pull the pan and see how much and what type of crud in pan.

For the gauge. Just the harbor freight fuel pump kit is ok. Your port is 1/8NPT

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Two details that matter 300PSI minimum and a hose long enough to reach from the test ports on the transmission to somewhere you can see the gauge easily when in the drivers seat.

Thanks for sending. This morning heading out the door didn't have a enough time to go into it further

schwim

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2022
Coastal VA, US
While waiting on my pressure gauge kit, I'm trying to figure out what needs to be recorded for a test. I have two questions concerning the manual's instructions.

1) It states minimum and maximum TV tests. Is minimum adjusting to as little cable showing and maximum adjusting to see as much cable as possible?

2) Why does the repair manual make mention of the cooler ports on the trans, do they expect me to do something with them during the test?

1669121995544.png

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Minimum is the TV cable installed and set as it supposed to be.

Maximum is with the TV cable fully extended, remove the end of the cable from the carburetor and pull and hold the cable fully open with a spring or small bungee cord.

You will not be messing with the cooler lines during the pressure tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor