• Local/Independent Store

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Like a lot of you, I buy plenty from RockAuto and online, although one of my hesitations with doing so, moreso now than ever with parts quality in the sh*tter, is the ability to warranty. Warranting parts through RockAuto is like pulling teeth. Case in point, I'm 99% sure the rear strut mounts I just replaced in the 2006 Lacrosse are popping. I bought them from RA. Monroe, lifetime warranty. Rockauto wants the old ones back before they'll send new ones. I don't want the car apart for a week waiting on shipping. Had I just spent a few dollars more at the parts store, I could swap them out same day.

Bought an aftermarket radio online from the manufacturer & had a local shop install it, installer told & demonstrated to me the radio was broken. Owner said to bring-in a replacement radio and they'd do the swap no charge. At this time in my life I lacked the wisdom to have them pull the bad radio before I left the shop.

Next day at work, I spent 30 minutes on the phone arguing with customer service at the radio manufacturer -- they similarly wanted the original back before shipping the replacement, even when I suggested I *pay* for the 2nd radio with understanding I'd get a refund for the 1st once they got it back. I became very angry during the conversation -- a combination of sarcasm and controlled rage, which entertained everyone in the cubicles around me -- and apparently I said "that doesn't make any sense" and "I won't do that" enough times that for a few days afterward they played a game of working those two phrases into every conversation.

... and the manufacturer agreed to send a replacement first, no charge

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Like a lot of you, I buy plenty from RockAuto and online, although one of my hesitations with doing so, moreso now than ever with parts quality in the sh*tter, is the ability to warranty. Warranting parts through RockAuto is like pulling teeth. Case in point, I'm 99% sure the rear strut mounts I just replaced in the 2006 Lacrosse are popping. I bought them from RA. Monroe, lifetime warranty. Rockauto wants the old ones back before they'll send new ones. I don't want the car apart for a week waiting on shipping. Had I just spent a few dollars more at the parts store, I could swap them out same day.
I'd have probably done it this way. A round about way, but it would work. Maybe.

Buy the second set from the store locally for a few bucks more. Swap out the ones on your car. Send the f**ked up ones back to RA for a replacement. When the new ones come in, immediately take THOSE back to the local store for a "refund". Provided they're the same exact model/part number, etc. And although you would spend a little gas and time, you could stay on the road longer.

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Up here in Canada, Napa is about the only thing available on that list. Canadian Tire is common, but I've lost my patience with that place for a variety of reasons. Much of it stems from ridiculous pricing and being primarily staffed by high school students. There are a few Carquests (or at there used to be anyway), but they're not very prevalent.

We do tend to have quite a few independents around, but compared to pricing from Rockauto and some other online retailers, I don't mind waiting a few days to save 30-40% for the exact same part. Even the closest Napa or independent doesn't have what I need in stock and it's only next day anyway. And they're closed on the weekends/evenings.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Every few years this topic comes up because every few years the situation changes. What is the state of the brick-and-mortar auto parts world?

As far as my neck of the woods, I believe last I reported, O'Reilly was king. For quality of parts, selection, service, price, they are still definitely near the top. Their prices can be higher than the other stores, but they are usually on-par and will price match advertised prices. I've noticed many of their Import Direct brand chassis parts are made by CTR, which is OEM for Hyundai/Kia and decent quality in my opinion. They still carry Wix filters, but the latest reports on Wix since the Mann-Hummel buyout have not been great, and they still want a premium for the name, so it's not as big of an advantage as it once was. The Microgard Filters are Asian-made by Premium Guard, no longer Purolator, but still very good quality.

Pepboys is out of the parts business entirely, nationwide and finally out of their misery. RIP. They still do tires and service.

Autozone fell to the bottom of the barrel and they remain there. They have a decent inventory, but their house brand parts are still the lowest quality of the chain stores, and their revolving door of employees consists of nothing but mouthbreathers. They did add a self checkout, so at least if what I'm buying is on the floor, I don't have to deal with them. They cut back their Duralast Brakes lineup, as well as dropping their "Official Brakes of Nascar" sponsorship. They now carry some U-Pol products, which is cool, but so does O'Reilly.

NAPA is another one that is bad going for worse. I know they are all independent franchises, so they are run differently, but the ones near me have banker's hours, small (and ancient) inventory, bad locations, and parts quality that definitely isn't what it used to be. Their prices aren't competitive at all. The last set of brake pads I got there were the dirtiest pads I ever used. Im not sure if they are catering exclusively to shops and they don't care at all about retail walk-ins, but there is just no reason for me to go there.

The biggest change has been at Advance. Advance got really bad for a while, to the point they were my last resort. However the Carquest buyout seems to have benefited them. They put an Advance in the former Pepboys store, which is geographically closer than any other parts store for me. I deal with the same guy every time I go, and because I've been buying a fair bit of volume from them, he's been willing to sell some higher dollar parts under their commercial accounts to heavily discount them for me. Their inventory isn't the best, but they can get 90% of stuff in from other stores or their warehouse, same-day. They do happen to have a HUGE inventory of Dorman stuff. As far as parts quality, their house brand Carquest stuff all looks pretty nice, but I haven't been able to identify who all of the manufacturers are. Carquest oil filters are no longer Wix, now Asian-made by Premium Guard (same as O'Reilly Microgard/Microgard Select). No idea who makes the chassis or electrical parts. The chassis parts I've used all look very nice out of the box, however. Well packaged, painted, good hardware. Years ago they used to be Moog, but who knows now. The Gold and Platinum brakes are also good. I have them in two cars now with no complaints.

I believe all four stores source their batteries from Clarios, formerly Johnson Controls Battery Division.

Are the chain stores elsewhere in the same boat or is this specific to me?
O'Reilly has been pushing to get our business, but a lot of the time they aren't as well priced as others. Even getting them to price match sometimes is tough because of the way they are marked up, Auto Zone does the same now where at times they can't match what I get it for somewhere else but a lot of times they try to keep our business. I don't use Advance all that much because most times their people don't really know too much about anything and I am always having to get something tough. Napa's pricing is terrible but their guys do know their stuff pretty well. In general it has been tougher to get parts these days so I order from eBay a lot and have done Rock Auto just because they get a lot of closeout stuff and is so much cheaper. We used to really rely on Auto Plus because they were great pricing and good product, but they got bought out by Factory Motor Parts and have been really tough to get anything from which sucks

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor