>>>> Coil spring "perch" issues <<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
I had the same issue, and used the Speedway perches.They cost $9.99.
91720243_L.jpg
Same ones I got sitting on my front seat......

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
[/quote]
Since you were talking about welding on perches, I figured you had a welder and were doing this yourself.[/quote]
I'm anxious for spring and have guys that will weld for me. I have to do the homework and find the part I need.... No one seems interested in fabbin' for me. Either I'm a bad friend or they are just F-Lazy! :wtf: I prefer the latter! Thanks for your time...........

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I figured those were the ones you had, since there are absolutely none to be found. I know, I searched for weeks. I finally just ordered those and modified them to fit. I cut the cup part off, sliced a section out, and welded it back together and to the base. A hassle but worth it since they are super strong and won't rot like the stock junk.

84MonteCarla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2009
Cleveland, OH 44113
Little off topic, I am looking for a 12 bolt with a steeper gear. I found a 12 bolt out of a 70 nova w/ 4.88s and a spool, which is a little slimer and is set up for leaf springs. Could I bolt on spring perches to this rear and run it in a G-body? Does anybody know if there are shock mounts on these?

I'm guessing the answer is no.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Since you were talking about welding on perches, I figured you had a welder and were doing this yourself.[/quote]
I'm anxious for spring and have guys that will weld for me. I have to do the homework and find the part I need.... No one seems interested in fabbin' for me. Either I'm a bad friend or they are just F-Lazy! :wtf: I prefer the latter! Thanks for your time...........[/quote]

If you cut out what you wanted and you showed me how you wanted them to go together you could send them to me and I'd weld them up for you if you can't find anyone local.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks for all the input...... If somone has fab skills this would be a good market! I can find all kinnda' crap on the net, but cant find "specific G-Body" coil spring perches/seats ... 2 1/4 inch inside diameter...... One shop told me to go to the junkyard and and get another rearend that has beeen in N.W. Ohio for the last 25 years.... :wtf: Might be time to invest in a welder...... I got the cash but is it justified?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Bitchin'-Buick said:
Might be time to invest in a welder...... I got the cash but is it justified?

In my opinion, yes! I don't know where I'd be without my MIG welder. Of course now I wish I had a TIG.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Absutively,posolutely! My welders have paid for themselves hundreds of times over. I have oxy-acetyline, MIG, and stick. Todays MIGs let a novice weld like a pro in no time. Just don't cheap out on a Harbor Freight unit get a real one. My Lincoln was $400 and worth every penny.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
They both have their place. For example when I modified my perches after I cut the cups to fit the smaller coil spring with a cutoff tool, I used the MIG to reattach them to the bottom flat piece. Then the round part that is supposed to fit the axle tube,didn't, so I used the torch to heat it up and bend it to fit the 7.5 axle tube. The little feet on both sides needed to be cut and rewelded too, so the MIG did it. Then I used the Harbor Freight cheap-*ss stick welder to weld the whole piece to the axle because I wanted good penetration and didn't care about looks. Lastly, I used the torch to smooth out the rough welds and gaps I missed with the arc welder. So I use both depending on the job and I don't think you can generalise as to strength. It depends on what amps are available for arc and what nozzle size for gas, you get what you pay for. A great all around arc unit is the big Lincoln AC/DC 110/220 volt you see in every shop, and as they switch over to MIG you can score one cheaply on Ebay or Craigs list. It's not that good for thin sheet metal but it shines at suspension and frame work. MIG is great for sheet metal, but 1/8" is about all you can expect out of a 110 volt home unit, the lower the amps (25) the thinner the metal. Gas I love for exhaust pipes, bending brackets,filling in cracks, and fabricating one-off parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor