>>>> Coil spring "perch" issues <<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Old Angus explained it like this to me...

Oxy-Acetaline is like crazy glue. It will let you melt the soft brass to flow and bond the seams you are trying to weld but the brass is soft and you have to get the area you are welding very hot which makes it prone to warping and become brittle.

A stick welder ( when properly used ) will heat the area as you weld and help acheive better penetration and actually bonds the metal together mixing it with the rod used but it's messy and prone to splatter.

Mig uses a thinner rod and introduces a gas to help with penetration and keep the splatter down

TIG is the best of both worlds as it uses gas, compressed air and electricity to get the area hot and you use rod ( loose or on a reel like mig ) to flow the rod into the area to be bonded and water to keep the tip cool.

For a home shop ( or even most workshops a TIG is overkill and not portable ). I prefer my stick welder as it's cheaper for me to purchase a small box of rods as needed for the job needed. MIG would be my choice if I needed to weld on a regualr basis. I have had Oxy-Acetaline for years and still use them often but mostly for heating rusted nuts and bending steel.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Great info! Thank you both! I thought it thru and gonna rip the top cup off and discard. Grind to clean up my ruff edge at the bottom of the seat/perch. Purchase and weld a 2 1/4 inch pipe/coupling in place of that top cup onto the perch. We have Oxy-A at my work but I'm not sure if I want it brittle carring that much of a load. Thanks for all the Insight >> Mike

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Did it work out? I was taking off my snow tires and saw the oportunity to grab a good shot of the Speedway perches and how they looked after I modified them. I added a poly insulator under the spring as well as the one up on top.I have to admit they are way better than the stock stuff which practically dissolved away.
P3080069.jpg

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
Did it work out? I was taking off my snow tires and saw the oportunity to grab a good shot of the Speedway perches and how they looked after I modified them. I added a poly insulator under the spring as well as the one up on top.I have to admit they are way better than the stock stuff which practically dissolved away.
P3080069.jpg
Things worked out good...... chopped off the top and kept the base. Then too that welded on a 2 inch pipe to replace the previous larger circumfrance. The 2 inch pipe was an easy solution after I grew a brain. Thanks for everyones input. I drive her to work daily now and got the Firebird waiting in the garage for front end suspension work next.....

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's great, I'm glad you got it to work. Those Speedway jobs are so cheap it's no biggie modifying it to what you need. I can't believe no one is selling a proper replacement for our cars since the stock ones just dissappear after time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor