Colonnade chassis, better than a G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The advantages I see are wider side rails, less complex bends on the front rails, and a stock rear frame brace. Downsides I see are the that trans crossmember only bolts to the bottom of the side U channels, a little less boxing in the middle rails, and large openings in the front frame horns. Don't know if the A bodies frames had any add on braces like G body frames have which help.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I haven't driven one of those tanks in 25 years. I don't remember it handling very well at all. I guess it's all relative though. Can't wait for the Ford Tempo vs. Chevy Citation shootout!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think it depends on the suspension package selected. I don't remember our 75 being a circle track champion. But, I would bet it didn't have the handling package. My 88 CSC was like a washing machine on wheels, no F-41. My 70S would run circles around that poor old grandpa mobile 88. No doubt stiffer springs and probably a better front bar, being a sport. The handling, rot and burnt/cut wiring made me say goodbye to the 88. My Ex BIL had two G body Monte. I guarantee they had the handling package, way better than my 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I had two 73' Grand Ams and one 75' Grand Am, I believe the handling suspension on these came standard and were options on other models

Reactions: 1 user

PVDave

Apprentice
Oct 28, 2021
Arvada, CO
I would agree 100% w/this logic. The Metric chassis is the same basic layout/suspension type albeit made in a lighter duty scaling
Same ladder style frame w/similar x-member/bracing & body mount placement between the two as well.
In addition, the article compares the '72-'77 generation to earlier cars, and makes no mention of the next generation. There's no reason to think the improvements incorporated in the Colonnade models would not carry forward.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
In addition, the article compares the '72-'77 generation to earlier cars, and makes no mention of the next generation. There's no reason to think the improvements incorporated in the Colonnade models would not carry forward.

Cost cutting and weight reduction. Just look how stock G body frames lack rear crossmembers that most ladder frames have, even my 08 CVPI.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I had two 73' Grand Ams and one 75' Grand Am, I believe the handling suspension on these came standard and were options on other models
Cool cars , there used to be a red and white one around here decades ago
Had a red maple leaf on it , it is fairly common for Americans to rock the red white and blue , but you don’t often see the maple leaf displayed like that in Canada 🇨🇦
Very cool

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
The silhouette below of a 1973 Grand Am, I had one of these when I was younger and they handled very well from the factory and the rear wheel wells would swallow a 30" tall slick on a 10" rim without any mods. I would still like to find another one someday.
Also I believe this was the first year of the "Radial Tuned Suspension"
Mine had a 400, 4 barrel dual exhaust and a 355 posi.
1973-Grand-Am-cutaway.jpg

The 73-77 A body chassis was recycled into the down sized 77-96 B bodies. It didn't go away. The general just put different bodies on them and reclassified them as fullsize cars.
Much of the "hoopla" back in the day, in the magazines (remember them - car craft, popular hot rodding, etc) centered around Herb Adams and his involvement in the colonnade cars. Never cared for them, too big, most too ugly etc. but certainly wouldn't have turned down a "stripper" at a good price. Problem was too many of them were loaded with too much stuff. Have only seen a handful of non AC examples in yards down here, and most were El Caminos. Believe the '77 to '90 B cars used a rear axle that is pretty much the same width, and possesses the same mounting points. Had a '83 Caprice fleet rear end that was 3.23 posi for years, couldn't sell it, but didn't know the full interchange back then either. It finally was offed in a trade to azchevs.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I had a 76 malibu that I got cheap a few years ago. It was a 305 car, but I just could not force myself to like the car. I tried and finally sold it. It needed body work and I had started making repairs to it with the intent of building a 383 for it. I just couldn't see putting the money into a car I just didn't like.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I love the Colonnade cars - especially plain jane examples. I briefly owned a 77 Monte Carlo in 1996 - it was a mess. 1973 Chevelle is gorgeous. They didn't age well and there are way more 68-72 A-bodies around from what I see. I can't imagine it handling better than my '84 Monte though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor