Colorado emissions testing questions

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
The Tahoe area is really nice. I prefer the North Shore area. I like Carson City too. It's been a while since I've been there so I don't know if it's changed much.

Here's a couple hits I got looking for average snowfall for areas in Colorado that might be helpful:

Here's a pretty good national map:

If you download it, you can blow it up some to get a little better detail for Colorado.
I've lived in zones 2-7 so no surprises for me. but I already know what the wife is going to say about freezing her butt off. I just don't want to live in a place that's constantly hot in the summer and your life is dictated by needing a/c half the year

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Here is a thought as I quickly read through this tread. It seems to me this is not your "daily driver"and is delegated more as a toy. I too have zero emissions on my malibu and my county in AZ requires testing. My Gbody is also a toy so I have Hagerty collectors insurance on it which makes it exempt from emissions testing. You're moving way to close to that cut off line and it won't take much for them to change from diesel only to all vehicles.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Come next year, I will have owned this car for 30 years. It had 45K miles on it when I bought it and I've only put another 30K on it. I've never used it as a daily driver. So I guess it's always been a toy for me. But I use it for utility once in while. I put things in the bed of it but am extremely careful when I do. I did haul my GTO engine to and from the machine shop in it a while back.
Yeah, it's a possibility rules could change on me. Maybe I'd get grandfathered but maybe not. I'd just have the deal with it if it happens.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Late to the party here but have you considered staying in Texas but moving as far north and west as possible? Somewhere up around Amarillo or Pampa or even closer to the Okla border? TExas is big enough that you ought to be able to find somewhere in there that will have a climate that eases your allergy problems.

If you can figure out a way to get over the border, there is a portion of Southern British Columbia called the Osoyoos which is both warm and dry. Not cheap and did get slapped by forest fires this year but Colorado is prone to experiencing them too.

Nick

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Late to the party here but have you considered staying in Texas but moving as far north and west as possible? Somewhere up around Amarillo or Pampa or even closer to the Okla border? TExas is big enough that you ought to be able to find somewhere in there that will have a climate that eases your allergy problems.

If you can figure out a way to get over the border, there is a portion of Southern British Columbia called the Osoyoos which is both warm and dry. Not cheap and did get slapped by forest fires this year but Colorado is prone to experiencing them too.

Nick

If he's like me, warm and dry is absolute Hell on allergies. At least it is in CO. As soon as the rain rolls in here I can function, but when it's hot and dry my nose goes nuts and everything itches. What's wild is that I spent a few months in the Mojave Desert and had ZERO allergies, but the day I got home they went off. There's something special about allergies here.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018

Nick
you haven't seen the view from Pampa, have you?

the reason he left Austin was to get away from the cedar pollen around here. we get a lot of pollens around here that cause misery. never been allergic to anything in my life until after about 7 yrs here, and I've lived all over. springtime cedar pollen around here really sucks.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

the reason he left Austin was to get away from the cedar pollen around here. we get a lot of pollens around here that cause misery. never been allergic to anything in my life until after about 7 yrs here, and I've lived all over. springtime cedar pollen around here really sucks.

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what, but my allergies have never been as aggressive or as persistent in my life as they have been here.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX

LOL. Yup. Just like Bettina said in the movie, "A whole lot of nothing".
My wife and I both worked our careers in Austin and moved to San Angelo when we retired. Cedar and molds both were bad there for both of us but worse on me. I thought San Angelo would be better with both but Cedar is bad here too sometimes and surprisingly, molds are worse. I found out I'm very allergic to mesquite too and San Angelo is loaded with those.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Nick
I once mentioned Lubbock to my wife and that was a definite no for her. I think the least hot places in Texas are Marfa, Fort Davis and Alpine. That area is much more dry and a lot cooler than San Angelo. They are are all close to each other. Of those we did think of choosing Alpine as a place to live. Also gave thought to Sante Fe NM and Durango Co before deciding it was the front range of Colorado was what made the most sense for us. Anyway, it's a done deal now. We close on this house in Fort Collins on the 29th of this month.
I actually wondered about Canada as an option while exploring ideas a while back. I quickly saw that It isn't an an easy option for retired US citizens. https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/articles/how-to-retire-in-canada

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor