Column / ignition cylinder fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all apart anyway, so, it's less then $10 for the rack and sector gear kit. This here's Dorman #83221
RNB-83221_RZ_ml_zps3268ea03.jpg

you amaze me Mark, I would never have thought those parts are still available and sold separately.

Thank DORMAN Steve. They have a whole line of parts they call "previously dealer only" or something like that. They also make the HELP and Motormite line. Amazing company.

Thanks for the lead on the Rack & Sector gear. I'm going to pick that up later today. You can see in one of my photos above that the spring int there is looking pretty mashed. Do we know if Dorman makes a new one of those!? I was just looking on the Dorman help website and I'm thinking its probably the signal return spring? But i could be wrong, plenty of people out there smarter than I! In the meantime I have the column lowered and I have found the switch shown in the reply above. I can turn to the 'key on' position and the dash lights up (good start). I have also found what looks to be the push button mechanism for the starter. When push the button nothing happens...am i missing something or in theory should the start kick over? I should probably check some fuses and other things to make sure I'm not missing anything but in the meantime i would assume that i should be able to turn the motor over like this?

Thanks guys

There is a rod that actually operates the real ignition switch. Pushing that rod gets you "on" and "start". The broken part you have is the rack that pushes the rod when the key is turned. You should be able to push some more and reach "start". Check RockAuto and others- they carry steering column components. I can't tell if this kit includes everything or not.[ STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # US165L Black; Mounting Location: Column; Key: Operable $14.03]

Okay, so here is where I'm at. STUCK! My goal here is to be able to start the car, hopefully without needing the column for anything other than having the car in PARK so the neutral safety (which apparently isn't called a neutral safety on these cars) is engaged and will allow the starter will crank. As you can see by the photos its all apart and accessible. What I was hoping to be able to do is manually put that blue ignition switch into the on position (I can do this and the dash lights up so I am assuming I have accomplished this) then push (what I am assuming to be the starter button) the button...and blammo the starter cranks. But when I push that button...nothing. Before the rack and sector gear broke away and ****ered the column I had no issues getting the car to crank over (last week). So because anything to do with electrical to me makes me feel like the dumbest kid on earth and I assume it was all created by leprechauns and unicorns...I'm useless on this one. The photo of the 2-Wire orange and black wire is part of the neutral safety (which isn't called a neutral safety) according to a diagram I saw. If I'm wrong please let me know. I thought it was supposed to plug into the white bit shown at the base of the column but its doesn't seem to fit. And sadly my buddy was helping me over the weekend and did all the dis-assembly inside so I have no idea where any of it came from or if it was ever plugged in...That will never happen again! So have I got any of this right? Or am I missing something simple? Oh, and what is the small 4-wire with the connector...again don't know where it came from cuz I didn't disconnect it. Basically i want to hot-wire my car without wrecking anything!

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    870 KB · Views: 536
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 526
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    699.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    742.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    689.4 KB · Views: 516
xfile.php,qid=29097,at=1.pagespeed.ic.5ZSg2bkpFW.jpg

pontiacgp said:
this is your ignition switch and you'll find the wire description below for the wires that are in the harness that plugs into the switch. You can bypass the switch to put in another keyed cylinder on the dash to turn on the power and a push button start by using these wires

g8119_7843451.jpg

Pur/Wht Ignition Start
Pnk Ignition Coil
Brn Ignition Accessory
Orn Ignition
Red Battery B+
Grn Temp. Ground Grn
Tan Brake Warning Light

Okay I get that part....but if I can still use the switch to turn the car "on" should i not be able to just push that button to bump the starter? This is where the electrical work turns into magic.

leefybeaver said:
Okay I get that part....but if I can still use the switch to turn the car "on" should i not be able to just push that button to bump the starter? This is where the electrical work turns into magic.

pontiacgp said:
as long as your able to unlock the wheel you can use a screw driver to move the contact in the ignition box on the column. You'll need to move the ignition box a bit do you ca move the slider so you can start the car .

So what you're telling me is that I'm doing all the right stuff and should look further down the line...like maybe the starter is pooched? Man am I feeling dumb right now. 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor