Column / ignition cylinder fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
What I'm trying to fix is in the ignitions cylinder. I believe some of the spring mechanism that is behind the plastic is broken. I was fortunate enough a few years back while the car was still driving to have someone try and steel it. Right now i wish they had been more successful! It was working until all of a sudden it just all came loose for lack of a better term. With the key in the ignition cylinder it spins freely to the on and start position as if its loose with no resistance or "steps" to each stage like its not connected to anything. I can see (from a hole in the broken column plastic) what looks like a spring which is floating inside so i'm trying to get in there and see what i can do.

So far I'm hung up on rather trivial piece of plastic! Eff me!! It's there right after you remove the steering wheel. I can't figure out how to get it off without breaking it. Then based on some other threads i have found and YouTube i think i can get in there and sort some things out. If someone can help me out for that damn plastic i would be super grateful.

Thank you all

dylan

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    601.1 KB · Views: 1,006
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 1,014
Okay, so i pulled up my skirt and got the stupid plastic off...im getting quite careful in my old age!

but ill still take any feedback there may be on fixing the spring mechanism that seems to be busted.

Thanks

:blam:

are you sure your ignition switch isnt bad? there is a rod that runs inside the plastic housing that runs down the column and hooks in the usually white switch.if your trying to replace the cylinder you need to remove the plastic disk that is under the steering wheel,it is held on buy ring. you will need to push down on that plastic piece and use a small screw driver and get that retaining ring out.once you do you will have to remove the turn signal switch.it is held by 3 screws also the hazard knob needs to come out 1 screw. then you can lift the switch and there is 1 screw that hold the key cylinder in, take it out and you can remove the cylinder get a new one and reinstall

to get the plastic piece off there is a ring on the shaft that holds it in place. You need this tool to remove the ring...

wobble4.jpg

That spring is for the sector gear. When you turn the key, the sector gear rotates and pushes the rod down to the actual ignition switch located further down the column. When they busted up the column they were trying to get at the rod to start the car. You need to either open up the column from above, remove everything and replace whats broken, or just get a new column. After reading up on what is involved, you may just decide a new column is the easy way out. There are several posts online showing what is done, the best is at http://www.elcaminocentral.com/archive/index.php/t-27192.html, but the pics aren't loading for me(!?!). Here's another.http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html. Another http://forums.highperformancepontia...rade/gm-steering-tilt-steering-column-repair/ Here is the beast all apart.
P2050329.jpg

Bonnewagon said:
That spring is for the sector gear. When you turn the key, the sector gear rotates and pushes the rod down to the actual ignition switch located further down the column. When they busted up the column they were trying to get at the rod to start the car. You need to either open up the column from above, remove everything and replace whats broken, or just get a new column. After reading up on what is involved, you may just decide a new column is the easy way out. There are several posts online showing what is done, the best is at http://www.elcaminocentral.com/archive/index.php/t-27192.html, but the pics aren't loading for me(!?!). Here's another.http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html. Another http://forums.highperformancepontia...rade/gm-steering-tilt-steering-column-repair/ Here is the beast all apart.
P2050329.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what has happened. I'm thinking new column is the way to go...I was thinking that before, just to replace the busted plastic, but now I think I'm pushed into that corner. Any other good resources out there for used columns outside of ebay? I'm prettu sure the wreckers here won't have anything. This final failure could not have happened at a worse time...I'm going to be moving soon and i am just trying to get the car running again so it can me mobile under its own power. Is there a quick way for the finish what these attempted thieves started so i can just get the motor to turn over?!!

Thanks guys

as long as your able to unlock the wheel you can use a screw driver to move the contact in the ignition box on the column. You'll need to move the ignition box a bit do you ca move the slider so you can start the car .

He didn't mention if it unlocked, but the sector gear does that too. If it unlocks, but doesn't move the push rod to the ignition switch, then probably the sector gear teeth are stripped off, or it's out of alignment with the toothed gear part that pushed the ignition switch rod. That part in his picture that's missing, it kind of holds several important things in place.

So i found the culprit (see photos)...And I'm pretty sure I'm boned. So who out there has a decent column in blue!! So in the meantime i need the solution to let me work the starter. I'm thinking there must be a way to complete the key on circuit, them use a push start type button to activate the starter. Is my line of thinking reasonable here? if someone has done this before or has viable solution to get this block of iron running I'll take the help.

Thanks again

DL

Attachments

• column1.JPG
    column1.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 3,341
  • column2.JPG
    column2.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 916
this is your ignition switch and you'll find the wire description below for the wires that are in the harness that plugs into the switch. You can bypass the switch to put in another keyed cylinder on the dash to turn on the power and a push button start by using these wires

g8119_7843451.jpg

Pur/Wht Ignition Start
Pnk Ignition Coil
Brn Ignition Accessory
Orn Ignition
Red Battery B+
Grn Temp. Ground Grn
Tan Brake Warning Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor