Column shift to floor shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Check my buyer/seller feedback and we can go from there;) I have alot of orders to get out today along with work and really don't have time for picture taking,of what I KNOW I have and will work for you.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Happen to have it at the house.
IMG_20160314_095108367.jpg

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
OK I'll look into that and no I have never gone to captree the 9 years I've lived here I guess cause I have been doing other things and or working on my car.I do go to some of the car shows and swap meets.I'm trying to get my car running by June it won't be a show car but it will still be a working in progress car.So I'll catch you around one of these days I don't even know what site to go on to see what shows are around our area.
That's cool..
Mine's far from a show car too. Don't go to the shows much either. Captree is just an impromptu meet up. People get there at the crack of dawn down there. Everything from rat rods to muscle cars, tuners and lamborghinis.. I usually go early and have breakfast as that's when the muscle cars show up. Hang out for a bit then go on with my Sunday. :cool:

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
got a cutlass 86 i went from column to floor as well. changed the column ran the new cable and notice my key wouldn't come out i ended putting the linkage back to the trans and tab the same one the column shifter had. works as it should now.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
View attachment 48506
OK I had one of those for my ss it won't work because it interfere with my header my header is completely in the way and I'm not a fabricator so won't be able to use it and here in NY forget about for it for me to have someone make it work I have to sell both my arms and legs lol but if I do decide I need it I'll Holla back.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Are you using an aftermarket shifter, or OE floor shift? The reason I ask is because aftermarket shifters usually have their own micro switches for backup lights and neutral safety switch.
I had a Hurst shifter in my car previously. It was wired up to bypass the factory neutral safety switch and backup light circuits. What I did was, lock the column in the park position.
It worked great, I didn't use the stock linkage rod from the trans to the column.
However, I went back to using the factory floor shift and original linkage rod...and unlocked the column in order for the neutral safety switch and backup light circuits to work as they did originally.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
View attachment 48506
OK I had one of those for my ss it won't work because it interfere with my header my header is completely in the way and I'm not a fabricator so won't be able to use it and here in NY forget about for me to have someone make it work I have to sell both my arms and legs lol but if I do decide I need it I'll Holla back.
Are you using an aftermarket shifter, or OE floor shift? The reason I ask is because aftermarket shifters usually have their own micro switches for backup lights and neutral safety switch.
I had a Hurst shifter in my car previously. It was wired up to bypass the factory neutral safety switch and backup light circuits. What I did was, lock the column in the park position.
It worked great, I didn't use the stock linkage rod from the trans to the column.
However, I went back to using the factory floor shift and original linkage rod...and unlocked the column in order for the neutral safety switch and backup light circuits to work as they did originally.
Its oem i understand what you saying the linkage it self will not fit due to my headers being in the way of where the linkage will connect to the trans im not worrying about the reverse lights its more that safety switch issue i might just buy a used monte ss steering column for $70 cause my column housing bowl is broken into 2 pieces anyways and that will solve my issue i guess.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I don't think the replacement column is going to ultimately solve your issue. You're still going to be plagued with the linkage obstruction problem. I could understand replacing the column for the one with the busted bowl.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I don't think the replacement column is going to ultimately solve your issue. You're still going to be plagued with the linkage obstruction problem. I could understand replacing the column for the one with the busted bowl.
When I had my Monte I didn't use the linkage because it interfered with my header and it was perfectly fine so I'm just gonna duplicate what my Monte had and just buy the SS column since I wanted tilt column and wanted to not have the hole where the column shifter was and plus my column housing is broken in 2.I just want to not have to move the column out of park just to unlock the steering wheel so I can drive and then have to twist it back to park to lock the steering I figure since I want a SS steering column I would eliminate that issue with the shifter column.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey, whatever works for you. Good luck!
A floorshift column looks better than having the nub sticking out for the column shifter.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor