Column swap turn signal switch confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
MVC-779S.JPG
Here's a few pics of the wiper motor pigtails. I still have to post a pic of the pigtail/ plug coming from the column.
MVC-653S.JPG
MVC-654S.JPG

The top two plugs come off the column. Left side is non-delay. Right side is delay. Bottom pic is what the plug looks like head-on.

Attachments

• MVC-781S.JPG
    MVC-781S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I are a idiot! Just re-read and you did say the turn signals are the problem. DOH! The mechanism inside is the same but I think the later columns used a little extension tab to actuate them. I also think that the turn signal arm pivots on the wiper switch itself. I may be wrong, it's been a while.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I are a idiot! Just re-read and you did say the turn signals are the problem. DOH! The mechanism inside is the same but I think the later columns used a little extension tab to actuate them. I also think that the turn signal arm pivots on the wiper switch itself. I may be wrong, it's been a while.
Mark,
That makes two of us. I didn't bother to study the title or contents of this thread.:doh:just assumed it was a wiper switch compatibility issue....which is not too far from the truth.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
FWIW, I swapped an 85 El Camino tilt column into my 81 Malibu wagon that had a standard fixed column. I was able to reuse the 81 turn lever in the 85 column mounted wiper switch. I am still using the dash mounted wiper switch. I had no issues with turn signals, plugged right in and works fine. Perhaps the issue with the turn signals is not in the column, maybe a ground that is loose under dash or somewhere else?

Might also check to make sure that the hazard switch is fully disengaging, if it's a little sticky, signals will not work.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you look on the left of the column it should be obvious when it goes, and you just install it with some pressure until it snaps into place

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I believe you give the stalk a little twist and then pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor