Column vs. Transmission Rooster Comb

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah that sounds about right I'm just looking to track down the whole linkage from the column ,rod,the z-bar into the transmission thanks a lot of people say there's a rooster comb in the column you have to change
Column has no rooster comb that I'm ever aware of. And I've replaced the upper guts on them. For fun, remove the linkage rod at the column and with the column unlocked, you can run the shift tube arm up and down to your heart's content and if you feel anything click, then something may be broke, but it is not a rooster comb. :) EDITED TO ADD: Column shift cars have a shift gate, or "rooster comb" as it were. Console cars to not. Sorry for any misinformation.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Don't know if the rod is the only difference, but AFAIK, there's NO such thing as a designated 3 speed column and 4 speed column. According to my "bibles" (parts books) they either have tilt, no tilt, console, no console, pulse wipers, no pulse wipers...etc. Additionally, the 4 speed 4R transmission backdrive rod for consoles is different on Olds than on other makes. So you can't get one from a Monte and it be the same as the Olds. Don't know the difference, but it's a different part number.
Ummmmm, because the starter is on the driver's side on an Olds?
There is something in the column for the neutral/reverse block because you have to pull the shifter to you to get to Park.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
But PRN is the same for 3 or 4 speed transmissions. So that function will be the same no matter what.
I was talking about the rod difference- probably bent a little differently somewhere. Regardless, I used a 3 speed rod on a 4 speed trans by lengthening it about 3/4". It's not perfect (a little wonky between N & OD), but definitely functional.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's basically 2 parts with differences between 3 and 4 speed linkages. The down rod, the lever cross shaft. Again, I think it's because the rod is longer on the 4 speed, but I'm still not sure the exact difference on the cross shaft.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yelp different length I wish I can lengthen mines I wish I could weld,and did you drill a hole in it for the cotter pin
If you can mark it and cut it, any shop should be able to zap it together fairly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor