Comp cams XR288HR in BBC for the street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I think I’ve entered into a deal for a fresh .030 over 454 with stock ported heads and an xr288hr cam
I know it sounds awesome and has decent throttle response , but I wonder if it has enough vacuum at idle for power brakes ?
Also , what stall converter would this need with a th 400 ?
I’ve had a 282hr comp cam in a 383 sbc and it was great but that car had a 4 spd
Had a performer rpm cam in a 403 that ran nice at speed but I had to keep the idle up around 900rpm for the brakes to work and it had a stupid TC that only stalled about 300 rpm over stock so was kind of doggy with the high geared rear
So my experience is pretty limited
The engine is complete except for carb ,
The current owner has 2nd gen camaro headers for it that he said he’ll include if they fit my 83 cutlass he also has an accessory drive and stock exhaust manifolds he’ll throw in
Would the stock manifolds be too restrictive to run in the short term till I saved enough for headers ?
What carb recommendation ?
Will camaro headers fit ? I think not ,but thought id ask you guys
Thank you in advance
Note : a cam swap is not out of the question as I want to have the engine gone through after I buy it
I’ve tried google searches but get inundated by sbc videos and articles

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If the compression is less than 10:1 compression, then idle vacuum will suck, but… live-able.

Yeah, you’ll need a converter. But you need to know a lot more about the combo before picking one.

Can you find out what piston is in it?

Stock manifolds will not help anything, anywhere in the rpm range.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
How much does he want?
Do you have any specs on the engine or upgraded parts if any?
What stock ported heads does it have?

For the brakes you can start with a vacuum canister and from there a vacuum pump.

Reactions: 1 user

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Thank you for the replies
He is asking 4500 (cdn) I don’t have any specs as yet
He said he paid 8k+ for the engine
He told me he spec’d the cam and had the machine shop build the motor appropriately
Story is he had 3 bbc built at the same time for different projects ( he has many cars) but sold the 70 camaro right after the motor was built for it .it was installed ,broken in then pulled out and wrapped up when the car was sold
I’ll try to learn more , and report back
What information do I need to decide what TC would match my combo assuming 373 rear gear ?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So how did you hear it run from a video?

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
This isn’t a random stranger , I’ve dealt with him before
I don’t think he’d try to burn me … if that means anything
I know the price is high for a used engine but if the story is true it’s more like a new motor for half price
Comes with distributer water pump and an edelbrock intake among other things that would add a lot to the price if I were to build it myself
My 383 long block was 7700 then I still needed intake water pump etc etc

Just trying to give you my perspective so you have the most information possible to help me with
I am going down to his shop this afternoon and will ask more questions then
Casting numbers for heads and what pistons /compression ratio
Possibly receipts for build
Anything else I should ask ?
The engine is not at his shop

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I would consider buying a cheap bore scope. You could at least look inside the cylinders. Any abnormal wear or more use than advertised should be evident. You could always sell it after

Reactions: 1 user

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I was just at his shop , He wasn’t able to answer many questions , he said he’s not a motor guy he’s a body guy , he just has tons of parts
he had a buddy look at all his heads and blocks etc and picked out the best stuff
He chose a 427 with some special heads for his current 1st gen build and built 2 454s as well ,one of which is now available
No receipts
Didn’t ask what carb he used , but I will

The pistons and compression ratio are whatever the machine shop thought was best for that cam and heads ,he said .
Having said that , as far as I know the machine shop has a good reputation .
I think he said the heads are 396/402 heads but he couldn’t remember which ones
I won’t even be able to see the motor for a couple months , I didn’t hear the part about it being out of town haha
Anyway, I’m willing to take this at face value .
I told him we are going to make a deal but I gotta see it before I make an offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor