Compression test results what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
With a bore gauge:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900041/
sum-900041_w.jpg

My dad already has these tools, so I guess I'm kinda lucky (also unlucky because they're up in Michigan :roll:). His isn't as complicated but it does the same thing.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
ok, well it will probably be a month or so before i get into this, im moving, i gotta get that all taken car of first and then once im settled in im gonna pull it and get movin on it, ill keep you all updated

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Are you planning on just a rering, or are you planning on completely going through the engine? If you're going the 2nd route, it may not be a bad idea to put a small cam in it, I'm sure you'll like the added torque :)

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
im going to re ring it and re gasket it and get my heads checked, im gonna leave it to the stock specs tho, thats what my intentions for this one was. im not to worried about power, its just gonna be a cruise night show car (not a all out show car)/ weekend car

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
If you dont have a leak down tester, take the detachable hose from the compression tester and take the valve core out of the bottom, then put that hose on your compressor and set the pressure to around 50 or 60 psi rotate each cylinder to top dead center (when both valves are closed) pulling the water neck and thermostat out would probably be a good idea to. Then screw the hose no hooked up to your compressor into the spark plug hole and you should be able to hear it hiss out of somewhere. If you look into the intake and see bubbles where the thermostat was you have a bad head gasket, hissing by the oil fill or PCV valve will be bad rings, and hissing in the carburetor or out the exhaust will be bad valves. I used this method to diagnose my 455. I crossed 2 plug wires detonated a ring land right off a piston, broke a couple piston rings and had oil barfing out my exhaust. I could hear the hissing on each of the damaged pistons and or broken rings .Also if you start the car with the water neck off and take the thermostat out, look for bubbles in the coolant, if you have a bad head gasket or cracked head it will cause the bubbling. My guess considering mileage would be to have the heads rebuilt and throw a new set of gasket on it and you should be in business. When the guy rebuilds the heads have him mill the heads a little extra so you can get a little more compression and a little more power. just make sure he knows how to mill an Olds head because there is a ratio he must cut at, meaning you mill x amount off the bottom, then you must mill x amount off of the intake side of the head. Otherwise you will have gasket mis-matches that happened to me with a Cadillac 500 engine and was a small disaster.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
ERIC87442 said:
heres an update on my car. well the blow by is getting worse, shes gettin parked for the season, got a new set of rings and a full gasket kit in the mail. one question, should i replace the head bolts when i pull the heads?

New head bolts are cheaper than the tool to check the taper. However on a non-HP motor I see no reason they would need to be replaced.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
You get get some bore gauges from Harbor Freight for around $10-$15 I think. That's all you need to check taper. Those and a caliper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor