Considering Change to XenForo... opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
New Year, time to re-evaluate where the site is and where its going. I'm considering making the (big) switch with the forum software from phpBB to XenForo. For reference, XF is the software that TurboBuick.com runs. There are a lot of features it has, that I know have been asked for.... BUT. Changing the look and feel and mechanics of the site is a pretty big deal. Not only on the admin side (you have no idea) but the user side. It'd mean learning a few new things, but I think overall its a better system.

The biggest problem with making the move from a technical standpoint is the photo gallery. I'm trying to figure out if its possible to move or even bridge it.... but the possibility exists that it would have to be scrapped or (preferably) archived in favor of a newer system.

Basically if you showed up here one day and it looked and worked different, would you yell "ZOMGWTF what happened to GBF" and run away screaming never to return, or would you go "hey this isn't bad...."

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I don't know, the TB boards aren't bad. I personally like the GBF layout the best out of malibu racing, tb, thirdgen, pro-touring, etc. But, forward progress is forward progress.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Yeah, I'm only at the "how much of a PITA will it be vs. how much better down the road" stage, and like you say, trying to figure out if I can do it without making it look *too* much different. The forum structure shouldn't change, though. Just throwing it out there and seeing what the response is. (Thanks!)

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
Obviously, with my whoppingly large post count, I'm set in my ways. LOL. I'm computer stupid. Everyday is a learning curve for me, despite the fact I did it the day before, so all those letters you threw in there about software versions/designs whatever, actually mean nothing to me. I show up at a site not because its easy to operate, but because of the content. So I guess a short answer is, make changes you feel are improvements, and as long as the content of the posts continue, I'll continue to show up. I'll bet you're breathing easier now, right. LOL

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
If you had the layout as close to original as you could get, had the same white and blue, kept a thread full of tips and info well within the public eye for a while (like constantly bumped or linked to the home page) and probably a banner that said something like "Welcome to the New GBodyFourm!" as an initial "heads up" for changes, then it might be okay for everyone.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I agree on the layout, location on the links and such. I like the "view your posts" link, most of the boards don't have those, and you have to search through you subscriptions to find it. I also prefer the color of this forum, the TB and MR forums colors are distracting to be honest.

But it will be allot of work for sure. Not something to undertake during the spring and summer when you should be working on your cars :p

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Personally i like the current format better than On TurboBuick.com. This feels and looks better in my opinion.Only thing i dislike on this format is the way the Photo Gallery is set up. Either way i will keep coming back because of the information and cool ideas.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
WyoKid said:
Personally i like the current format better than On TurboBuick.com. This feels and looks better in my opinion
x1000000! Maybe its just that im used to it but this site is great the way it is.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I was one of the first two dozen that signed up for the old Gbody.org site in 2000. Not sure what became of that site...went to Yahoo or something then fell off the world. I went back and downloaded my first 10 posts when it still was up. Kind of like taking a picture of your favorite fire hydrant. :lol:

I am impressed with the content and the setup of this forum. I know there must be administrative issues driving the need for change. I appreciate that this site has not had to resort to advertisements. The G8Forum uses a similar template as this one, but it's much more commercial with annoying ads and requests for your insurance company so they can target ads at you.

I have not yet read up on all the background info that abounds, but I appreciate the resources I have found here. I've sold parts, shared obscure knowledge, and hope to some day contribute to a build thread. I have about four I could slap together if there were time.

I just deal with it when Microsoft changes Office, moving the buttons to random places. The only thing I ask is to please not lose any data. There's a treasure trove here!

ssn696

Attachments

• IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    551 KB · Views: 683

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I have no complaints with the current format. Just out of curiosity, what are some of the features that have been asked for that this one doesn't support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor