console withOUT a floor shifter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2014
Did they ever make a factory console for bucket seat cars with a column shift ? Answer is probably NO because they never made a bucket seat car with column shift, so then, my question would be has anyone fit ANY type of console that does not have a shifter in it ,into a Gbody?? thanx, crossy

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Actually, I have one. I pulled a console from an El Camino and the plastic insert where the floor shifter would go had a flocking-lined rectangular tray in its place. I'd have to do some serious digging in boxes to see if I could come up with the insert. What info are you looking for...measurements?

Nov 4, 2012
Yes, actually they did. It is sorta more of a half-console. They came in Regal Limiteds. But honestly a floor shift conversion isn't very hard to do and I recently acquired all of the parts to do a floorshift conversion and it cost me less than $350. The conversion can take as quick as 2 hours, depending on how good of a welder you are. He is a pic of the column shift console though-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,130

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
ssn696 said:
Actually, I have one. I pulled a console from an El Camino and the plastic insert where the floor shifter would go had a flocking-lined rectangular tray in its place. I'd have to do some serious digging in boxes to see if I could come up with the insert. What info are you looking for...measurements?

You are right, I had one of these, I think I sold that insert long ago.

crossy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2014
ssn696 said:
Yes, I asked because I don'tl ike to hunt for things that were never made. Lol I am def NOT doing a floor conversion on my car, but it has nice buckets , but no console right now.

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
I wondered the same thing too I want to do buckets and column shift perhaps in my Malibu but I wanted to correct in terms of if they actually came factory that say I see they do make drink holder and storage inserts for the consoles also to hide where the shifter would be .. I just don't. Want to do it and than be laughed at I'm trying to stay factory correct

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If you are not trying to keep it totally stock, you can use a console from a late 90's Blazer. They came either in floor shift version, or in column shift version. I had the column shift version in my El Camino for several years before I converted to floor shift. It has two Cup Holders where a floor shift would normally be located, and a convenient tray up front for change, cell phone, etc. One version, if you can find it, had a place for a CD player to be mounted up front. Would make a nice place for a gauge pack, since it was angled toward the driver ( IIRC).

P1010002.jpg

CIMG1940.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor