Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Re: Convert digital to analog odometer?

Blake did you swap the entire cluster or just the odo? And was the resistor replaced or added on?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

I swapped the entire cluster.

On the B-body cluster, there were three small resistors.
To fix it, you would remove all three originals, and wire in this single unit inline where the originals were.
I don't have any pics, but I know there are some floating around on the Impala SS forum that detail the procedure.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Thank's Blake. I'm going to open this one for a look-see. EDIT- most of the harness wires are the same, but for a few. I would hate for the OIL light to go on when I hit the high beams! The odo's are totally different, I found a spec for the digital, 4000 pulses per mile.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Steve, I found it. It was the connector from the Theft Lock ignition key sensor, to the IP cluster. Motor works.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Well now I'm skewered. After putting it all back together, the odo is totally dead. So I went and investigated and found that the '95 and '99 IP wiring harness is identical aside from a couple of wire color changes. So are the Vehicle Speed Sensors. When I get the nerve up to remove the dash pad again I will plug in the '95 analog IP and cross my fingers.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Alright. Blake442 you were right. I swapped the IP cluster from a '95 automatic Sunfire into my car and it has the analog odometer w/trip. I even corrected the odometer to what my old mileage was and it works great. My only snag is that the DRL aren't working because the automatic IP computer needs to know that the transaxle is not in PARK and my car is a manual trans. Also when the headlights are off, the high beam indicator is on. But when the high beams are on, the indicator is off. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the DRL circuit. There is a wire from the IP that grounds the DRL relay when it is satisfied the trans is not in park, and the parking brake is off, and the headlights are not on. Grounding that would make the DRL come on, but I'm not sure that won't fry something since that would interfere with the headlight input. All that comes from data the serial data link provides from the PCM. Probably best to just leave that alone.
P6100415.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Forget this. My lights are all screwed up. Start car, no lights, high beam ind is on. Turn on lights, low beam goes on, high ind is on. Hit high beam, they go on, ind goes out. Turn lights off, DRL come on, DRL ind is on, high beam ind is on. So I just ordered a '95 manual trans IP cluster on Fleabay. If it's not junk, I'll swap the odo into it and that should do it. FWIW the IP takes the VSS signal from the PCM and operates whatever kind of odo the cluster has. That part was easy.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

This thread wore me out.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Imagine how I feel! :blam: Anyway, I got the '95 manual trans IP cluster today. Popped it in and same crap. Lights all screwed up. It drives me nuts because all the wiring in the harness is the same, and no P-R-N-1-2-3 to interfere. Something's different but damned if I can find it. So back to square one and what do I find? The LCD display on the '99, is backlit, and the bulb is dead. But what an oddball light, I'm not sure if it's available or maybe I can covert it to LED. Stay tuned. :roll:

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094

The cluster in them cars are coded to match ecm in car. Thats why they are giving you trouble. I been down that road i even change a cluster in a 99 and theft system engaged car would start put old one back in and it ran. Pulled cluster why car was running swap other one in car would run. But different lights would pop on shut car off theft system reingaged. The wireing is the same but there is a chip in dash cluster that has to be matched to ecm. You can buy a bypass system off ebay but i never tried one. I just put old cluster in and called it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor