Converting gas tank for lt1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingersoll113

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2010
Was wondering if I can use an in line fuel pump on the supply side and use the vent (the one that goes to charcoal cannister) on the return side in an LT1 conversion. I realize I would need a vent, but I will be pulling out more than I will be returning. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know this might get me flamed, but just throwing it out for discussion. Thanks in advance.

I used my vent for a return for a few weeks and some where (cant remember where) I read that it was a bad idea. You need your return line submerged in the tank.

I managed to find a GN sump at rockauto.com and used it with my factory non-baffled tank until I could find a baffled EFI tank.

ok I just check Rockauto.com and they still show to have some of these and trust me. Unless your the luckiest person on the planet you wont find a used one this cheap.

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # FG156A Includes Fuel Sender, Float and Strainer (Fuel Pump Not Included)

$94.79

^^ you can modify that to run a inline pump or mount a pump to it.

The answer to your question is - yes. But you would be better off to use a late Monte Carlo tank for a TBI application and swap out the low pressure TBI pump for an appropriate TPI/LT1 unit. This should be a direct bolt in using OE parts...no hacking.

DRIVEN said:
The answer to your question is - yes. But you would be better off to use a late Monte Carlo tank for a TBI application and swap out the low pressure TBI pump for an appropriate TPI/LT1 unit. This should be a direct bolt in using OE parts...no hacking.

I agree. Either a Monte's TBI tank or a GN's tank will bolt right in and give you a factory in-tank electric pump. Super simple. 8)

Swap the hoses for the line's by the rear axle. Vent is now fuel and fuel is now vent. I did this until I bought dedicated tubing for the fuel line for the car.

FE3X CLONE said:
DRIVEN said:

I agree. Either a Monte's TBI tank or a GN's tank will bolt right in and give you a factory in-tank electric pump. Super simple. 8)

Ok, but all the cars in my local yards have had the tanks pulled before they are placed in the line up. Where do I find one of these tanks?

JERMzSS said:
ok I just check Rockauto.com and they still show to have some of these and trust me. Unless your the luckiest person on the planet you wont find a used one this cheap.

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # FG156A Includes Fuel Sender, Float and Strainer (Fuel Pump Not Included)

$94.79

Checkin it out now, Thanks...

ingersoll113 said:
JERMzSS said:

$94.79

Checkin it out now, Thanks...

So if I use this part, I could use an inline pump and have a return and a vent. As long as I don't run low on gas, why is it so important to have baffles? I notice on rockauto that the 1986 4.3 monte and the 1980 malibu have the same GM3C tank, please un confuse me.

My 1967 Impala SS has been running an inline pump and using the vent for the return since Decemeber 2000 when I did the LT1/4L60E swap with no problems. I've done 3 other swaps since and all are the same way, if I don't have a third line for a vent, I just use a vented cap. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor