Converting to a "universal" wiper switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The only problem with the painless switch from what I remember is your wipers will lose the "park" function meaning they will always be on your windsheild when off and not at the bottom of the cowl where the stops are.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
565bbchevy said:
The only problem with the painless switch from what I remember is your wipers will lose the "park" function meaning they will always be on your windsheild when off and not at the bottom of the cowl where the stops are.

That's interesting... I wonder why?

I found a switch at Speedway that doesnt have 'washers' but the instructions say 'Park' for a connector...

Any way to access the factory 'Park' function?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Tony_SS said:
565bbchevy said:

That's interesting... I wonder why?

I found a switch at Speedway that doesnt have 'washers' but the instructions say 'Park' for a connector...

Any way to access the factory 'Park' function?
I remember talking to Painless a few years ago when I was thinking about using their round universal wiper switch. I think they said you could possibly hook up a toggle to park the wipers but I would contact them first before buying or installing it to see what issues you might run into to make it work.
I ended up just keeping my column mounted switch but have a reservoir mounted aftermarket washer pump which works great no more of that "pulsing, racheting sound"

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The "park" function is in the motor, not the switch. When you shut the wipers off, a relay in the motor continues power long enough to let the wipers return to the bottom, and the internal tang slips into a slot, pulling the wipers down to the "park" position, and then shuts off the power. Even if you momentarily trigger the wipers with a jumper wire or toggle switch, they will go through one revolution, and park.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
So looking at the Speedway switch, it shows a terminal labeled 'off/park'. If I hooked it up right, it would signal the motor to 'park' the wipers I am guessing?

7f3.jpg

And here is the factory delay wiper diagram.. which is weird, because it seems to missing a few wires.. I'll post when I get home which wires are missing from the diagram to my setup.

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1741743/eac.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I gave my version, here's the factory version of what happens. Basically, "off" is "park" because the mechanism is programed to do so. That Speedway switch just assumes you have a factory wiper that parks when shut off. Otherwise it would stop wherever it was when the power was removed like old VW Bugs. This blurb doesn't mention that when the switch is "on" the park relay prevents the pawl from entering the parking slot.
Untitled-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor