Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Use the green sh*t.
50/50. Never worry about it.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: 50/50 I believe is the way to go but you might want to add that additive they sell for x-tra cooling that's out there.. You might want to change the thermostat while your flushing maybe heater control valve also. Inspect hoses and you'll be ready for the road...have fun
IBBY

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
With the pre mix you don't have to buy distilled water separately. Tap water makeup and quality varies quite a bit from region to region. The well water in my area has alot of iron in it and I don't want it in my cooling system, also causes issues with my pool.

Pre mix is important in really old engines that don't have water pumps to mix up the coolant like with my 46 tractor, the coolant must be premixed before it added in such engines. But most here probably don't wrech on such old engines that use heat convection for coolant circulation.

Going back to coolant mixtures, pure water has the best heat capacity, antifreeze has much weaker heat capacity than water. This is why in warmer areas people often run a water rich 60 / 40 mixture. It is also why you don't want to run a AF rich mixture.

Reactions: 1 users

JJake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2014
I have used Deionized water lately, mixed with Antifreeze for a bit better than 50/50. Up here, the 50/50 mix is usually slightly less than advertised and borderline as we have some temps lower than -40C here.
Distilled water has some of the un-dissolved solids removed, but not the ionized materials (salts). Deionized water has the ionized salts removed and that makes it very corrosive,

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I wonder why they recommend it for distillers and cooling systems? Supposedly a 7 PH when made but drops to 5.2 or so once exposed to air. I don't see how something on the middle of the PH scale with the salts removed is corrosive.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I wonder why they recommend it for distillers and cooling systems? Supposedly a 7 PH when made but drops to 5.2 or so once exposed to air. I don't see how something on the middle of the PH scale with the salts removed is corrosive.
Deionized water is bad.

When you deionize the water seeks out an electron bond and what it finds is atmospheric c02, which it bonds with. The chemical reaction is 2 molecules of h20 bond with 3 molecules of co2, end result is h2co3.

H2c03 is carbonic acid.

You can read about it here, ( https://itstillruns.com/the-effects-of-carbonic-acid-on-steel-12590472.html. ) but, basically it introduces rust into your cooling system, and that can impact sludge formation in your radiator fins.

Depending on the nature of the system it is used in the opportunity to react is minimized - such as in a pure stainless steel system, carbonic acid doesn't have the pitting and rust formation effect it does in normal/carbon steel..so on so forth.

Application is everything.

In South Georgia I can run pure water in the radiator in March and suffer no issues. If I do the same thing in Minnesota I'm blowing freeze plugs in a best case scenario and doing other various bad things like cracking a block.

Again, application matters.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good to know. I am just using our reverse osmosis tap water from now on, used it this last time, pay enough for it as is. It seems there is draw backs, no matter which water is used. The waterless Coolant isn't strong enough for our Winters. Turbo Power is the one selling Deionized Water up here as the stuff to use in your radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor