MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The old car project dick punch. Nice work Monte, ol' Mike never saw that one coming....

Did you measure coil spring diameter? Could they be the wrong springs? Loosen the lower arm mounts to remove possibility of bind? Turns out BMW has it as part of the suspension service procedure, I never thought it would have that much effect but it made a huge difference when I did the struts.

Seriously.

saitama GIF

Right in the pisser.

These are the exact, literally, same springs as were in the wagon. They came out when the 5664s went in the wagon and got stuck in the 5664 box. I am baffled.

And yes, you are right, loosening everything up may have an effect. And the thought did cross my mind... I just walked away in disgust. I cannot say for certain if I ever undid any of the hardware when the chopped blue springs went in. Knowing me I just slapped them in and called it a day. I will make a point of breaking everything loose to see if it helps. Thanks for the intellectual and moral support.

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Seriously.

saitama GIF

Right in the pisser.

These are the exact, literally, same springs as were in the wagon. They came out when the 5664s went in the wagon and got stuck in the 5664 box. I am baffled.

And yes, you are right, loosening everything up may have an effect. And the thought did cross my mind... I just walked away in disgust. I cannot say for certain if I ever undid any of the hardware when the chopped blue springs went in. Knowing me I just slapped them in and called it a day. I will make a point of breaking everything loose to see if it helps. Thanks for the intellectual and moral support.
Im winning my battle today,so I have some sympathetic energy for you. Plus I'm familiar with this feeling of walking away.

It's pretty wild that they were that high especially as used springs. Shocks aren't different? And it's just the spindles that you changed?

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Im winning my battle today,so I have some sympathetic energy for you. Plus I'm familiar with this feeling of walking away.

It's pretty wild that they were that high especially as used springs. Shocks aren't different? And it's just the spindles that you changed?

Just the springs, spindles, ball joints, and upper control arms. Shocks and LCAs are the same.

Oh, and I cleaned and painted stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'm going to say it's the wood stands your tires are on. Not allowing tires to slide. Had same issues until I turned steering wheel a few times

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm going to say it's the wood stands your tires are on. Not allowing tires to slide. Had same issues until I turned steering wheel a few times

I tried suspending the car under the control arms to take up some of the load and allow the suspension to relax off the wheel cribs and articulate. Unfortunately, it didn't work as I had hoped. I may try uncradling the wheels and placing them on some lubricated floor tiles to see if they will cooperate. It is the same method I use for setting alignments. Maybe it needs a little steering wheel finesse?

First step is going to be loosening up the LCA bolts... who knows, that might be all it is. Or it might just be that I need shorter springs... which I am fortunate to have.

We are still a few days... a week(?)... from being able to take the car out and down the road to see if it can be settled with some brute force.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'd think a MCSS is heavier than the wagon especially with the turbo and iron block, and that ride height looks the same as my v6 cutlass with aluminum core support and bumper without drop spindles. Drop it on its wheels and give it a shot?

Otherwise you can just Carolina Squat.

• Haha

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'd think a MCSS is heavier than the wagon especially with the turbo and iron block, and that ride height looks the same as my v6 cutlass with aluminum core support and bumper without drop spindles. Drop it on its wheels and give it a shot?

Otherwise you can just Carolina Squat.

fu middle finger GIF

But, yeah... something isn't quiet right here.

• Haha

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need to drive it. Lean on it hard a couple of times cornering. I bet it drops.

Or just say the hell with it and head to the Carolina’s.

p.s. pick me up on the way by.

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
My guess is the weight transfer is the difference. The Monte rear is lower than the Wagon? I drove my car around a little after drop spindles. Two inch drop. Just what I wanted. Then months later I measured again and I had three inches of drop. I remember some guy from Canada with a wagon explaining it to me. I lowered the back and it came up some. 🙄

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Just the springs, spindles, ball joints, and upper control arms. Shocks and LCAs are the same.

Oh, and I cleaned and painted stuff.
Must be some really strong paint.......

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor