COPPER RADIATORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I heard Champion radiators are JUNK. They start with "C" C is for CHINA. You mean to tell me there are no more brass tank radiators made? WHY?

It's all about the money! Find a good old rad shop an get you end cap repaired or replaced, they will build you anything you want.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you serious? It is the original way radiators were made. Copper and brass. Stronger than plastic.

He did say he was being sarcastic, even though mosrt of us already figured that one out. You do realise they are now making intake manifolds out of plastic.

• Agree

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
He did say he was being sarcastic, even though mosrt of us already figured that one out. You do realise they are now making intake manifolds out of plastic.
oh OK LOL. I thought he only knew new cars with plastic. I'll stick with cast iron. Aluminum manifolds are OK too. I don't mind weight.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Most people now use all aluminum radiators since they have become very affordable and are lighter, stronger and can be more efficient than a comparable copper/brass radiator.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
oh OK LOL. I thought he only knew new cars with plastic. I'll stick with cast iron. Aluminum manifolds are OK too. I don't mind weight.

You should go back and read a few of his many posts, he know about more than just plastic and he's one of the more knowledgeable people on this forum, (even though that really really hurts to admit)...:mrgreen:

I can see if someone wants to keep his/her car original but like most on here we know that newer rads, even with plastic tanks are better at cooling than a brass radiator. The tubes in an aluminum core are larger then the brass tubs. The brass tubes are soldered unlike the tubes in an aluminum rad which are welded. As for the Champion rads there are a few here who use them and I have not heard a bad thing about them and from the Champion website..

F.A.Q (frequently asked questions)
Where are these made?

While our radiators are manufactured in China, hence the low price point, they are designed in the U.S. If an American made radiator is preferred instead, please call us for availability. There will be a price difference to accommodate the American labor being put into it. A standard 2-row is $169.98, and an American made 2-row with 1" tubes is $279.98

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
I bought a 3 row brass radiator about 4 months ago because I want the look of original on my car it cost me around 330 bucks but went right in and works great I think radiator Express was the company

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
Here is a screenshot of the radiator

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180813-194329_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180813-194329_Chrome.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 178

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I bought a custom fit Griffin for my 81 and I sold it. It fit like crap. I couldnt get the rubber saddles to fit over the tanks because of their shape. I hacked up a few and finally gave up. I went with a 4 row copper/brass radiator that I got from a place in CA. It wasnt cheap but it was very well made and less than the Griffin. Im also using a 3 row for the wagon. It was in the 81 when I bought it so I had it up in the attic of my garage. It pays to save stuff !

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
I bought a 3 row brass radiator about 4 months ago because I want the look of original on my car it cost me around 330 bucks but went right in and works great I think radiator Express was the company
That is my MAIN concern. I heard plenty of testimonials where the aluminum rads. did not fit right in without modifications. I want to be able to just remove and replace without headaches. I guess the jury is still out on pros and cons of both. For now I will stick with the copper/brass method.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My current radiator is a Modine 3-row copper/ brass unit made in USA. Purchased it a few years ago, and is my second one. It's always worked well and kept it cool.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor