COPPER RADIATORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
My current radiator is a Modine 3-row copper/ brass unit made in USA. Purchased it a few years ago, and is my second one. It's always worked well and kept it cool.
WOW ! I mean WOW SERIOUSLY! Let me tell you MY STORY with MODINE. I am CONFOUNDED on how you were able to buy a new Modine radiator for a car about the same time (3 years ago or 4 years) that I had my first problem.
It all started when I burst a leak in my MODINE BRAND radiator model in the Regal. Well I went to my receipt and then drove to my local radiator shop only to find it closed up. So I called Modine for my LIFETIME WARRANTY I had on the radiator.
I asked where I could get your product now, since my last supplier closed down.
GUESS WHAT? Modine told me in no uncertain terms WE NO LONGER MAKE RADIATORS FOR AUTOMOBILES, AND ONLY MAKE THEM FOR INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS FOR HEAT. So I asked, what about my LIFETIME WARRANTY, they said NO PROBLEM. Just send us pictures of your old radiator in the car, and a copy of the receipt and we will give you back YOUR FULL PRICE that you paid for our radiator. So I did just that. A week or so later I got a check in the mail just like they said to honor the lifetime warranty. BUT I was still without a good radiator. So I had to locate an old NOS one that someone had laying around. It was not easy.
Now my question to you is - HOW THE HELL WERE YOU ABLE TO BUY A NEW MODINE CAR RADIATOR AFTER MODINE STOPPED MAKING THEM? THEY ARE THE BEST RADIATORS MADE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
I heard Champion radiators are JUNK. They start with "C" C is for CHINA. You mean to tell me there are no more brass tank radiators made? WHY?
i have ran and still run those aluminum radiators you can buy on the bay. been on for years and have had zero problems. can' throw away everything from china or the house would be empty. if only we could buy everything in the usa that was made in the usa. maybe that will happen soon.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
WOW ! I mean WOW SERIOUSLY! Let me tell you MY STORY with MODINE. I am CONFOUNDED on how you were able to buy a new Modine radiator for a car about the same time (3 years ago or 4 years) that I had my first problem.
It all started when I burst a leak in my MODINE BRAND radiator model in the Regal. Well I went to my receipt and then drove to my local radiator shop only to find it closed up. So I called Modine for my LIFETIME WARRANTY I had on the radiator.
GUESS WHAT? Modine told me in no uncertain terms WE NO LONGER MAKE RADIATORS FOR AUTOMOBILES, AND ONLY MAKE THEM FOR INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS FOR HEAT. So I asked, what about my LIFETIME WARRANTY, they said NO PROBLEM. Just send us pictures of your old radiator in the car, and a copy of the receipt and we will give you back YOUR FULL PRICE that you paid for our radiator. So I did just that. A week or so later I got a check in the mail just like they said to honor the lifetime warranty. BUT I was still without a good radiator. So I had to locate an old NOS one that someone had laying around. It was not easy.
Now my question to you is - HOW THE HELL WERE YOU ABLE TO BUY A NEW MODINE CAR RADIATOR AFTER MODINE STOPPED MAKING THEM? THEY ARE THE BEST RADIATORS MADE!

https://www.ebay.com/b/Modine-Car-Truck-Radiators-Parts/33602/bn_580533

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
I might've exaggerated some what about the time frame I'm referring to. It might have been more like 10-15 yrs ago. Us old timers tend to lose track of time. What might've seemed like a few years ago, could be more like 10-20 yrs ago.
In fact, the radiator shop that I bought that last rad from is out of business, the owner passed away, and the building has since been leveled. If I had to replace it today, it would most likely be an aluminum unit...:( I guess I should've held onto my old Modine rad. I could've had it rebuild/ re-cored. Modine also had a good reputation for making a quality product.
If this one ever has a problem, I'll consider having it rebuilt.

Btw, I have been aware of Modine making heating units for garages, etc.

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
I don't know why you are asking me since you already contacted the company and they told you no
only asking because I noticed their website now says automotive applications and shows a picture of a Model T or something. But I can't get any more info. since I am not a dealer.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Literally MILLIONS of vehicles worldwide are using plastic/aluminum radiators without issue (and have been since the 1980s).

Last time I bought a brass radiator, the tanks were so thin i was afraid to put a 16# cap on it, they were definitely not as thick as the OE radiator it replaced.

FWIW, I put a brass 4 row in my 80 coupe, required core support modification, and finding the right rubber saddles was a real chore...but it did work well.

I'll be using an aluminum/plastic rad in the current coupe, partly because it came new/ free with the donor car

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
only asking because I noticed their website now says automotive applications and shows a picture of a Model T or something. But I can't get any more info. since I am not a dealer.

Steve, if you want a brass/copper radiator this is the one I bought for my car. I bought a 4 row. They have other options. They also make a quality product. The Modine ship has sailed.
This is a bolt in application. No muss, no fuss. No modification at all.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I understand that you would like a high-quality radiator that has a stock appearance and also doesn't have fimment issues. There are plenty of high quality aluminum radiators that fit well. As far as the stock appearance, you could always paint it black with some high quality engine paint. Just throwing this out there as another option..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor