Coulum shift to a Non colum shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
well the mega shifter is a ratchet shifter, it just looks some what stock compared to the race ones, it is however NHRA legal with reverse lockout

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think I have a column sitting in my garage and I will try to take a picture tomorrow so you can see what it looks like. The schematic I have shows the wires for the reverse lights as being light green and dark blue, with the blue being input and the green being the output to the lights. The neutral safety, according to the manual, is provided by mechanical means that prevents the key from turning to the start position except in neutral or park. The starter signal is provided by a purple wire off of the ignition switch if you wish to interrupt it and use the switch included in the shifter assembly. If I were going to do that, I would use a relay so as not to run a long wire to and from it. This reduces stress on the switch in the shifter, if it is not high quality.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
could you possibly show were and how to run the relay and what size and kind

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, I can tell you but there really is no way to make a diagram and post it. A standard DIN relay has 5 posts of which you would use 4. The 5th is a oddball negative switch that very rarely is necessary. You would split the purple wire and put it into the switched positions of the relay so that it can cut the power to the relay. The you would need to run a ground to the ground position of the activation coil. Finally, run a constant on positive wire down to the switch on the shifter and run the other end to the positive side of the switching coil in the relay. You could even use the positive in wire of the relay as your power source to the switch, just do not use the output side as it will never see power and energize the relay. I believe either MAD enterprises or Painless Performance have the details of how to run a relay on their websites.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
If the shifter has switches on it, I'd look for a "manual shift" column. G body ones are a bit rare, but maybe parts from a S-10 or other application; Full size truck, F-body, etc could be used. Just a thought. While we're on shifters, any clue where the oblong rubber grommets that fit on the trans lever where the linkage to the column slides through can be purchased?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Being that manuals were only available in 78-79 or 80, and less than 10,000 were ever made, it would be almost impossible to find one. Plus, the wiper switch and head light dimmer switch are not on the column on the earlier cars, meaning a lot more modifications than adding a simple relay and extending 2 wires to the backup light switch.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
Less than 10K? Didn't realize that. I've seen several, guess it was just luck. I forgot about the wiper switch and dimmer. My '81 has the dash mounted wiper switch, but the dimmer is on the column.
By keeping the linkage to the column in place, you could keep the keyed "park" lock, neutral safety switch, and reverse lights as original.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
any pics of the wires ill need to cut into or should i just swap in the non colum shift and still keep the linkage from the transmission to the colum and not wire it at all?

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
I'd keep the linkage for simplicity and functionality. You keep the PRND2L indicator, the "park" lock (that is reason enough for me) that won't allow the shifter to be moved from park unless you have the key on, the wiring that is in question, and it makes sure you put it in park before removing the key.
This should be easy since you have a parts car.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
thanks yeah idecided just to leave the linkage instead of try and wire it up, for the reasons you mentioned. now just got to get around to swaping. is there any special advice for this, or a simple couple our type job

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor