couple of questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
this buick 455 i just got is a 1976 and many people have said its not a good motor because of low compression....
my question is can the compression be change and how? if not and i have to :roll: "get rid" of it i guess...
and whats the best motor to put in my 86 cutlass that would give some good hp and torq?
thanks alot guys!!

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
For the buick 455 I believe a '72 or older is the best (pre emmisions true muscle cars died '71-72 because of regulations) Then there are a few different heads that work better then others.

RocketMan83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2007
Barrie & Milton, Ontario
My friend and his Dad both have Stage 1 GS'. From what Ive heard '76 is actually the best due to higher nickel content and they have better oiling passages. My friends dad is actually using a '76 Block on his 462ci Bull dog headed engine that he wants/should run 10s with.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
You wont beable too afford tires if you put a supercharger on that. Heads for those 455's are $$$$$$. www.taperformance.com has everything you would ever need for a buford 455. They make unreal torque and average hp. so you'll be quick off the line.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Just went there looks like they've come down in price must be getting more popular. 3-4 years ago I looked at building a 455 and the stage 2 street heads were $4500 US. Imagine a Regal Limited with every thing kept stock appearing(i.e. all trim and wire wheels) reenforce the frame put a good rear in it and squeeze a built 455 under a turbo hood. That would be an awsome sleeper if you could keep the exhaust quiet. :twisted:

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
thats what i wanna do with m cutlass but i feel lost....i want alot of torque and good hp...what do u think i should do?

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Bufords are more money then a 454 to build up because there not as popular. But you cant beat the torque of a Buick 455. Its different then your neighbors and thats what its all about isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor