cragar s/s nut issue ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutty24

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2011
PHOENIX ARIZONA
is anybody running cragar s/s on their cutlass if there is anybody, really need help finding out what kind of nuts to buys to put them on properly.. because the regular nuts cant be used on this type of rims.. i know they need to be mag style nuts but dont knw how long.. do they sell them at local auto parts like autozone napa o rilleys etc?? plz really wanna put them on my car but dont wanna have safety issues.. :mrgreen: ooh and they are 15x8 all around cost me 80 with tires couldnt pass dat deal !!! :D

Attachments

• IMG00168-20110723-0954.jpg
    IMG00168-20110723-0954.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 2,112
  • IMG00169-20110723-1247.jpg
    IMG00169-20110723-1247.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 2,329

bu*thang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2011
Michigan City, IN
check out jegs they are a conical acorn style with a short shank that fits inside the rims slots only sold in a 4pc pkg so you will need 5 pkgs at about 10-15$ a pk

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The mag-style nuts are easy to get. You can get them at your local Checker or whatever your favorite parts store is.

The key is the right washers. You need the oval shaped ones with the hole in the center. Thats the 5x4.75 pattern washer.
The oval shaped ones with the off-set hole will only work with 5x4.5, or if reversed, 5x5.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
None of the above is correct. I sold these for several years,and what you need are standard mag nuts with the cragar style washers...as shown here http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/27733- ... tId=753955

Conical seat/acorn nuts were never used on Cragar SS wheels

The oval washers are Keystone. E-T also used oval washers, with a conical seat machined in them, and a corresponding hybrid shank/conical nut.

Then there were Appliance rotalugs :wtf:

Short mag nuts for some steel wheels.

Cragar specified the heavy washer as shown in the link I posted, as they are of a larger diameter than the standard mag washer. the larger diameter was to help align the nut to the bolt circle, as they contacted a couple small raised areas on the cast center section.

Oh yeah, good score!

84cutty24

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2011
PHOENIX ARIZONA
Ribbedroof said:
None of the above is correct. I sold these for several years,and what you need are standard mag nuts with the cragar style washers...as shown here http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/27733- ... tId=753955

Conical seat/acorn nuts were never used on Cragar SS wheels

The oval washers are Keystone. E-T also used oval washers, with a conical seat machined in them, and a corresponding hybrid shank/conical nut.

Then there were Appliance rotalugs :wtf:

Short mag nuts for some steel wheels.

Cragar specified the heavy washer as shown in the link I posted, as they are of a larger diameter than the standard mag washer. the larger diameter was to help align the nut to the bolt circle, as they contacted a couple small raised areas on the cast center section.

Oh yeah, good score!

so i looked them up!!! do the standard Dorman/Wheel Nut Lock at autozone work for these rims?? they run 30$ for all nuts with a lock plus the washers.. but the washers are round not oval :wtf: do they have to be oval :?: damn this rims seem to be a pain on da *ss to put on as opposed to regular rims :blam: ..

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Ribbedroof said:

You're right. :oops:
In the smaller version of the pic, I mistook the corrosion around the lug holes for the typical oval shaped recess...

84cutty24

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2011
PHOENIX ARIZONA
so do i have to use the oval or round washers??
Blake442 said:
Ribbedroof said:

You're right. :oops:
In the smaller version of the pic, I mistook the corrosion around the lug holes for the typical oval shaped recess...

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The correct Cragar washers are all round. The ones you will want will have a centered hole

260-27224-4_2.jpg

There are also offset hole washers for 5x4.5 and 5x5 bolt patterns.

260-27225-4_3.jpg

You do not want "standard" mag lug washers, which are smaller and will not properly locate the wheel.

Here is an ebay link to what you need... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-LUG-N ... 3cb6409518

Also one correction...it appears that Cragar SS wheels WERE made with conical seat lug holes...in 16 and 17" only. At the time I was selling them, they were not yet being made in sizes larger than 15x10. Too bad the 17s are so pricey...think they'd look great on the Bonne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor