Crank on a 350 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf001

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
I'm on the way to buy a nice 350 oversize with edelbrock stuff ont it, but the crank is done. So before buying it, what should I think first ? What piece that I need with the crank. How much a good crank ? Thanks.

whats wrong with the crank in the 350 now

You should think REBUILD first. IF the crank is "gone" I'd look into what exactly that means. He probably spun a bearing and wiped out the crankshaft. At the very least you'll need a crank and new main bearings, new rod bearings as well. Summit, Jeg's and all sorts of places sell crankshafts. It sounds like a motor thats in need of a complete rebuild. Tear it down, find out what is damaged. You'll probably find that you need more than just a crankshaft 😉

told me it was knocking on the crank, the motor did'nt turn for two years and he went for a spin it stared knocking!

so its a rod knock u dont need a new crank just rod bearings if thats what it is or check out the flywheel to because even the littlest crack in that will cause a knocking noise to

yea i would tear it all down to see whats worn and can be reused

how the car run even with the knocking decent, bad, can the motor fire right up if u wanted it to

with a cracked flywheel the motor will run as good as it was before the crack it just will make a knocking noise and if ran to long in a car it could burn up the trans pump, takes awhile tho

sure, replacing just the rod bearings (or whatever is causing the knock) but how long will it last? i mean, if hauling out the motor and all that is no big problem for you go nuts... personally i'd rather not have to pull it out more than once. save yourself some time and build it right. depending on how bad the bearing was it may have damaged the journals of the crank.

turn ok et starts well, the only thing is more you give gas, faster knocking you hear.

All SBC's are the same block (pre-'86) Just different bore & stroke combos.

now, in my Lemans it's a 305, can I just change the head motor, take one form et 355 eand put it on a 305 to do a 350 with it ?? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor